Force carbonation calculator with time variable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevyWevy

Reaction score
I've looked and looked and I haven't been able to find a force carbonation chart or calculator that incorporates the time factor. I prefer the set and forget method, but I don't always have time for that. I'd rather not do the shaking method, so I'm looking for some sort of calculator that will give you a pressure to leave your keg at over a certain number of days.

Does this exist anywhere? If not, why not?

in order for such a calculator to be even slightly accurate, it would have to incorperate surface area and depth of the liquid, total volume, specific gravity, as well as the standard pressure and temperature. if a formula that would relate those variables exists, ive never seen it.

the problem is that this is not a straitforward 2D equation, where you can look up X-temperature and Y-pressure and figure out Z-CO2 Volumes... you are looking to find T-Time from A-Temperature, B-CO2 Volumes, AND C-pressure... too many variables.

What he said ^.

For ~2.5 vol of carbonation in a standard 5 gal corny keg, many people here have had good luck with 30 psi for 36 hrs, and then venting the keg and setting it back to serving pressure for a couple days. This will get you very close in just a few days. If you really want to carb your beer quickly without shaking, get a carbonation stone. Secure it to the gas diptube with ~2' of tubing so that it hangs down near the bottom of the keg. Chill the beer to serving temp, and then set the pressure to 1-2 psi. Increase the pressure 1 psi every hour until you're at serving pressure, and it should be fully carbed.

Back