Force Carbonation: 2L bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zplug123

Reaction score
I'm trying to force carbonate a 2L bottle of Rye Pale Ale but all I have is a CO2 gun that uses BB gun cylinders, food-grade gas of course. I want to have this bottle ready by Sunday, so I've already pressurized the contents and shook vigorously tonight, letting it chill until morning.

Tomorrow morning I plan to shoot some more CO2, but I'm concerned about over-pressurizing the bottle to the point of detonation.

41HAGY1K4BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tap-a-draft system.

Consensus from what I read here is that PET bottles are really pretty strong. They're made to contain soda at several volumes more than beer and in a wide range of temperatures - figures I've read are on the order of 200 psi!

Chilling the beer before you shake it will be more effective.

I've force-carbonated in 2l bottles with a carbonator cap. No problems. When I do, I fill the bottle up to the bottom of the neck, then pressurize to 45 PSI overnight.

If you don't have a pressure gauge, I'm not sure how you'll know your pressure, but what the hell, give it a shot.

Still no problems, except some CO2 leaking every time I place the gas-in adapter on. Been injecting it until it's rock solid, with three inches of head space, and shaking vigorously. Did it this morning and just now, gonna repeat at bedtime and tomorrow morning. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Leaving a good amount of head space was a wise move. It gives you more time to react and decreases the chance of exploding the bottle.

By the way, did you know that 128 Fizzies in a 2L bottle will create enough pressure to throw fragments of bottle over 80 feet?

Leaving a good amount of head space was a wise move. It gives you more time to react and decreases the chance of exploding the bottle.

How's the bottle going to fail? He's force-carbonating. Once the gas is off, there's nothing to generate pressure, so long as fermentation's complete.

Still no problems, except some CO2 leaking every time I place the gas-in adapter on. Been injecting it until it's rock solid, with three inches of head space, and shaking vigorously. Did it this morning and just now, gonna repeat at bedtime and tomorrow morning. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

So how'd it turn out?

It's probably too late for me to warn you, but that beer is going to carb up very quickly using this method; make sure you test it frequently to ensure you aren't overcarbing.

Actually it was lightly carbonated by the time I served it, only had a head of maybe half an inch high, but otherwise the guests enjoyed it. I'm really going to have to invest in a tank and regulator soon...priming sugar is guesswork and I'm going for clarity in my beers.

i use this method for soda all the time for my wife. She hates yest leftovers in the bottle. Best way I've found for quick carbonation is to chill the bottle (freezer for an hour or so, fridge overnight). Fill to few inches from top. Squeeze extra air out through carb cap. Put on gas to 30 psi(for soda, maybe a littl eless for beer). Then shake until bottle goes soft, hit with gas again, shake again repeat few times until bottle does not go soft. Let it sit in fridge overnight. Will be carbonated and redy to drink.

Back