Force carbonating at 10-12 lbs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cain

Reaction score
I've looked through the force carbonation threads and have seen my question asked twice, but have not seen anyone answer the question.

If I want to force carbonate my beer without over carbonating, can I cool the beer, set my pressure to 10-12 pounds pressure, shake until I don't hear any more gas going into the solution, and then wait a few hours and serve?

I think this makes sense and should work. I understand it would take longer to shake the keg at this lower pressure, but it should prevent over carbonation. Does anybody else use this method? I would love to hear your results. Thank you.

Yes and no. Yes you can set at 10-12 psi and shake but the reality is that until ALL of the beer has fully absorbed ALL of the co2 it will not be ready that quick.

I actually use this method because at serving pressure there is no chance to over carbonate the beer.

You can continuously shake for a s long as you want. I do it several times for several minutes over the course of an hour and then just let the keg sit. The beer is usually ready to pour in about 3 days. The reality still is that the beer is at its best about 7-10 days later:)

I've looked through the force carbonation threads and have seen my question asked twice, but have not seen anyone answer the question. [...]

That's only been answered about a thousand times :rolleyes:

Yes, you can do that, and the longer you agitate the keg the quicker and more complete the carbonation.

But...make sure you don't send beer up the gas line to your regulator.
An anti-backflow-valve (aka "check valve") in the gas line is a good thing to have when you're going to place the gas post below the beer line.

And, as mentioned, while the carbonation may be close enough to enjoy more or less, the beer is still barely out of its diapers at that point, and both the carbonation and character will improve over time...

Cheers!

Here's what I do.

Set to 12 PSI.
Wait 2 - 3 weeks
Pour

If you need refreshment while waiting the 2 - 3 weeks, and do not have anything you made in bottles or in another keg ( :eek: ), go to the store and buy something you like or can tolerate.

:mug:

Here's what I do.

Set to 12 PSI.
Wait 2 - 3 weeks
Pour

If you need refreshment while waiting the 2 - 3 weeks, and do not have anything you made in bottles or in another keg ( :eek: ), go to the store and buy something you like or can tolerate.

Mike, I assume you leave it in the keg to stay cold during this time right? Silly question but I had to ask since I'm new to kegging and hope to keg for the first time in two weeks!

BTW, nice to see a fellow WNY'er. I'm in Canandaigua.

Here's what I do.

Set to 12 PSI.
Wait 2 - 3 weeks
Pour

Simple advice, but oh so brilliant. I've almost never had a beer be great until 2-3 weeks (minimum) in the keezer. Sure they may be drinkable, but still not what they should be.

Simple advice, but oh so brilliant. I've almost never had a beer be great until 2-3 weeks (minimum) in the keezer. Sure they may be drinkable, but still not what they should be.

I need to learn how to do this. I have been setting at 30 psi for 24 hrs or a little less, then down to 20 for another 24 hours and then serving pressure for a week.. while drinking after the 3rd day in the keg. It's hard, I'm very impatient!

I need to learn how to do this. I have been setting at 30 psi for 24 hrs or a little less, then down to 20 for another 24 hours and then serving pressure for a week.. while drinking after the 3rd day in the keg. It's hard, I'm very impatient!

LOL, I need to learn how to follow my own advice too. I accelerate the process exactly like you, even though I tell myself I shouldn't. :)

That's pretty much what I do, except I go with 30 psi for 36 hours, then reduce to 12 psi and leave it there until the keg is gone.

It turns out really well for me.

Latest posts

Back