For those who use space heaters in chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signal2noise

Reaction score
Hello All,

I use a space heater in my fermentation chamber with great success. Today I was notified of an unexpected work trip (3 days) and have a batch in primary fermenting away. My space heater normally runs with no problem and maintains 68F +/- 2 and cycles on and off every 20 min or so with a 1-2 min run time.

The question is, should I leave the space heater unattended for 3 days? Has anyone else left theirs alone for a significant amount of time?

The heater is in a chest freezer, which I use as a chamber, and is hooked up to an Ranco thermostat and all are grounded to an EFI switch on the outlet.

Thanks in advance!

I suppose it comes down to the level of confidence you have in your setup, which is a function of experience.

fwiw, 68°F +/-2° seems pretty warm for primary fermentation, considering it's not unusual for the inside of a fermenter to run 5 to 10 degrees warmer than ambient...

Cheers!

True, my setup seems reliable. However, I've had no problem with that temp range and the temperature strip on the fermenter itself always reads between 66-70.

Personally, I wouldn't want to leave mine unattended for even a day.

**** happens and the heater is being used in a space that was not designed for it.

It would prolly be just fine, but I'd not risk personal/household property over a batch of beer.

I see way too many stories about fires caused by space heaters. I don't use one since I have no ferment chamber, and I use swamp coolers. If I did use one I would never have it on while I was away from the house. Maybe I'm paranoid, but that keeps my home and I safe!

Personally, I wouldn't want to leave mine unattended for even a day.

**** happens and the heater is being used in a space that was not designed for it.

It would prolly be just fine, but I'd not risk personal/household property over a batch of beer.

I'm with Gila on this one.

Possible options:
A) Leave it on
  1. 1) House is fine, optimal fermentation +1, 99% probability
  2. 2) House burns down, sub-optimal fermentation -100, 1% probability
B) Turn it off
  1. 3) House is fine, fermentation a little warm or a little cool -1, 100% prob

Risk adjusted, you're indifferent between A or B (both -1)
What's your risk tolerance?

I pick B.

Yeah, you guys are right. I'll bring the batch in from my garage and leave it in my home.

The only hard part is carrying the 6 gallons up 30 steps (I live in the top two floors of a 4 level split condo).

Yeah, you guys are right. I'll bring the batch in from my garage and leave it in my home.

The only hard part is carrying the 6 gallons up 30 steps (I live in the top two floors of a 4 level split condo).

Break it down into small parts. Just think of each step as a pint!

Back