For the Newbs entering competitions for the first time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Many experienced brewers already know this, but I'm posting to prevent the initial shock of getting your scores back if you are a first timer.

Understand that judges are going to judge your beer against a very strict set of guidelines for a single style only!

What this means to you is that even though you get a low score on a particular characteristic, that does not necessarily mean that you beer is "bad". Only that it isn't appropriate for the style. Of course it could also mean that your beer IS bad... Read the comments to try and find out whether it is or not.

Also, scores can vary quite a bit between judges. Some judges have more experience and do a very good job of writing what they taste. Others are less skilled and do not do much writing.

Take their scores and notes with a grain of salt. It's really only with a few submissions that you can get a feel for whether there is something wrong with your beer, or if you can improve. Look for a common trend between judges to indicate a problem. It's entirely possible that a judge is having an off day.

Also understand that what appears at first to be a poor score, could actually be not bad at all. Let say you score a 32-35 out of 50. This is a VERY GOOD BEER! Generally within parameters with only minor flaws. To me this would indicate that there is a small recipe formulation problem, or there is a specific process that could be tweaked a bit. But, it's not a bad beer.

Remember, the judges are usually very good tasters, and can often taste very mild flavors. They are looking for them!

Anything over 38 is an EXCELLENT beer. Exemplifies the style well, and may only need minor tweaking (And I'm talking MINOR tweaking!)

You don't get a top score until you hit 45. And I know of very few people who hit those scores, especially on a consistent basis. I wouldn't say it's "no-hitter" territory, but it's pretty hard to do, especially when you factor in the variability in judging experience.

Remember the judges are actively looking for flaws and will often find them where others might not. Enter into several competitions to get a better feeling for what you might want to do to improve your beer (especially if judges contradict each other during a tasting, which they sometimes do).

Don't get discouraged by poor scores. For one, a poor score doesn't necessarily mean a bad beer. It might just mean that you didn't hit THAT STYLE! (I once entered an American Stout that got dinged for having too much hops flavor! But the judges said they loved it!) Secondly, think of it as a starting point on correcting whatever process/recipe problem you have. Brewing isn't rocket science. Usually flaws in beer can be corrected easily.

Have fun, RDWHAHB, and who knows, you may even pick up some nice bling to show off to your buddies! :mug:

And you're not all that just because you won a medal at the local fair.

_

Thanks Homer for the info and reassurance. This is either coincidence or you must have been reading my post in the other forum from the WEB comp. in which I was a little disappointed in my results(30,32,31). That was my first comp. and actually beers out of my first 5 batches ever. I really wasn't looking for anything other than feedback. It was a great learning experience but I wish the judges could write a little neater. :drunk:

And you're not all that just because you won a medal at the local fair.

_

Yes. Sometimes you get lucky and like in sports, your chances of winning are directly proportional to the quality of your opponents.

Also there is a thing called beginners luck. Or you may actually be an excellent brewer starting out!

Thanks Homer for the info and reassurance. This is either coincidence or you must have been reading my post in the other forum from the WEB comp. in which I was a little disappointed in my results(30,32,31). That was my first comp. and actually beers out of my first 5 batches ever. I really wasn't looking for anything other than feedback. It was a great learning experience but I wish the judges could write a little neater. :drunk:

No, I just was thinking that competition season is gearing up and I remember from my own experience and from previous posts. It takes a little bit of reassurance sometimes to not get discouraged by what people may consider low scores.

I think the lower the score, the easier it is to correct your problem and start getting your score up.

Yes. Sometimes you get lucky and like in sports, your chances of winning are directly proportional to the quality of your opponents.
Yep. Sometimes one beer might score, say 37; and go on to win a gold medal but another beer in another category might score 44 and not even medal.

I agree about legibility...but I'd like to become a certified judge some day and I can just imagine what my chicken scratch will look like when I'm on my 4th flight.

Do any of you know of a website that lists competitions by area? I'm on my fourth brew ever and my buddy and I have finally created something we think will be pretty good and were looking to enter it in some competitions. Thanks!

so, how beneficial would this be to a (relatively) new brewer?

I just noticed a competition on may 14 that's about 15 minutes from me.

I just brewed a north english brown last weekend, first batch using my new setup. Hit my preboil gravity dead on, was a little low on OG, but my planned OG was on the high side for the category. I kept all the specs within the category according to beersmith. However, I used willamette hops instead of fuggles or EKG.

by entry time, this beer will be 9 weeks old, with 6 weeks in the bottle, which is more than enough aging time for a 1.047 OG beer.

Thinking about saving 2 to enter, what do you think?

I was surprised the first competition I entered. It was my third original brew. Didn't get any negatives or noted flaws. All the notes were quite constructive. Probably would have scored higher if I hadn't noted the licorice and just went with a sweet stout. I included licorice root for a lingering sweetness. They were expecting licorice flavor which comes from fennle and anise. Lol

So keep that in mind. The judges might not get what you were doing with some ingredients. Heh

so, how beneficial would this be to a (relatively) new brewer?

I just noticed a competition on may 14 that's about 15 minutes from me.

I just brewed a north english brown last weekend, first batch using my new setup. Hit my preboil gravity dead on, was a little low on OG, but my planned OG was on the high side for the category. I kept all the specs within the category according to beersmith. However, I used willamette hops instead of fuggles or EKG.

by entry time, this beer will be 9 weeks old, with 6 weeks in the bottle, which is more than enough aging time for a 1.047 OG beer.

Thinking about saving 2 to enter, what do you think?

Enter the beers if you want feedback on it. Don't worry so much about the numbers as the qualitative descriptions in the style guidelines; that is what's used to judge your beer in a competition.

However if you are 15 minutes away you should really consider contacting the organizer(s) and seeing if you can steward or otherwise help out. It will really give you a much better understanding of how the competitions are organized and function, how judging works, and what scores correspond to what beers. You will have opportunities to sample both high and low scoring beers, even if you don't judge.

Enter the beers if you want feedback on it. Don't worry so much about the numbers as the qualitative descriptions in the style guidelines; that is what's used to judge your beer in a competition.

However if you are 15 minutes away you should really consider contacting the organizer(s) and seeing if you can steward or otherwise help out. It will really give you a much better understanding of how the competitions are organized and function, how judging works, and what scores correspond to what beers. You will have opportunities to sample both high and low scoring beers, even if you don't judge.

that's an excellent idea, and it's the weekend after the semester is over, so the timing couldn't be better. I just might have to do this

@o4_srt - I am guessing you are talking about the Mt Hope Brewfest! I will also be entering an English Brown Ale for that Comp...though My IPA, Cider, and Helles Bock are also going to be entered.
I don't care if I win, I just want some feedback. It's only $5 and 2 beers and I am sure I will learn a lot. Though it is about an hour drive for me.

KoedBrew said:
@o4_srt - I am guessing you are talking about the Mt Hope Brewfest! I will also be entering an English Brown Ale for that Comp...though My IPA, Cider, and Helles Bock are also going to be entered.
I don't care if I win, I just want some feedback. It's only $5 and 2 beers and I am sure I will learn a lot. Though it is about an hour drive for me.

Thats the one, I think I'll enter, depending on how it turns out. Will probably be attending, if not volunteering, with some coworkers

I'm not BJCP certified, but I can tell you that whenever I would judge in a BJCP-based competition, we would read the BJCP style description over and over as we judged the beers.

Last night I was having an English Mild that I made not long ago, and I kept thinking about how low the carbonation and head retention was in that bottle of beer, but it did have enough carbonation for it to have a decent mouthfeel. I went back to the BJCP guidelines:

Appearance: Copper to dark brown or mahogany color. A few paler examples (medium amber to light brown) exist. Generally clear, although is traditionally unfiltered. Low to moderate off-white to tan head. Retention may be poor due to low carbonation, adjunct use and low gravity.

(snip)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body. Generally low to medium-low carbonation. Roast-based versions may have a light astringency. Sweeter versions may seem to have a rather full mouthfeel for the gravity.

Bottom line, I think my mild could easily garner a decent score in the category. :mug:

Then again, if I get a junior non-certified taster, he may nick me for not having enough carbonation. LOL

M_C

Great post for sure! I was out of brewing for many years and just got back into it this year. Friends and family have told me I need to enter my beers and even sell them. Well being my own worst critic/judge I won't enter something till I feel I am comfortable with it, especially just getting back into the game. I have a couple IPA's I am working on and they are pretty good but not there. Friends and family have loved them.

A couple weeks ago I took one of my beers down to ballast point brewery to get some feed back from the guys there. They all liked it and had nothing bad to say at all. Only suggestion I got was a little more dry hops to bump up the flavor a tad. But over all it was great tasting and well balanced.

As we were tasting and they were giving me "notes" and suggestions/ideas they offered my beer to this guy that walked up to the bar. This guy held it up, inspected it, smelled it, tasted a sip, smelled more etc.. Then the first words out of his mouth were "Man I wish I was judging some of this last week". Found out he was a certified beer judge and he said my beer would have received pretty high marks. He then spent the next 30 minutes or so discussing my beer and then going over my process and practices. He told me my technique was spot on. This was the main thing that made me feel good and that I was looking for. Recipes can be tweaked and tuned as needed, but with out proper technique then you can have the best recipe out there and still turn out crap.

Then the rest of the discussion turned to competitions, he said I should definitely start entering this. But he also warned about competitions and how different scores can be from judge to judge and comp to comp. You can medal in one and not in another from the same batch. He noted some biggest first timer mistakes are not conforming to the style you enter, if you are expecting to try and place. But the biggest thing was to just read their notes on, off flavors, body, taste, etc.. and take that away as a learning. Sure medals and ribbons make nice display and discussion pieces but that is about it.

So after talking with him and reading this post today I feel I am at least prepared to attempt to enter my first comp at the local fair this summer. I have two different batches I will be brewing up in the next couple months so it will be ready for them.

What a great site, thanks to all the people who contribute to this on a regular basis. Hopefully I can be there one day.

I encourage anyone and everyone to enter competitions, if for no other reason than to get feedback. Not that the prizes aren't worth sneezing at, but at ANY level of brewing you can find ways to improve.

One of my first competitions I entered a beer that I knew was way off. I really just wanted to know why. Entering helped me understand how certain things work, and to adjust my method. I am not confident in my own judging ability, so having experts taste for me was invaluable.

Again, let me repeat, don't just enter to win prizes. Enter to find out how to make better beer. At some point you will have a lot more confidence and will be reaching for the higher scores and prizes, but until then you can use the competition to improve your beer, and I think that's a great thing for craft beer and the name "Homebrewer" all around.

Take their scores and notes with a grain of salt. It's really only with a few submissions that you can get a feel for whether there is something wrong with your beer, or if you can improve. Look for a common trend between judges to indicate a problem. It's entirely possible that a judge is having an off day.:

I reckon this is probably the most important part of your post. We have had this discussion before in other threads but it seems clear that what we should look for are trends, in other words, good or bad features upon which the jusdges seem to agree among themselves.

Other than the one link already posted in this thread, does anyone have some more good places to find information on local brewing competitions?

Other than the one link already posted in this thread, does anyone have some more good places to find information on local brewing competitions?

The BJCP link above IS the uber site for contests....why would you think there'd be more or better? That's THE site for contest info....

AFAIK there is no national catalogue of non AHA/BJCP sanctioned competitions.

Some homebrew clubs will have calendars with events which may include some.

I would expect the quality of judging at a non sanctioned competition to be pretty poor and I would wonder why they weren't sanctioned (not willing to comply with the minimal requirements which basically amount to being fair?).

your lhbs usually has a list of contests in the area and also serve as a drop off point.

and do take comments on ingredients with a grain of "malt" on scoresheets. I had 3comments about more malt needed and I had a actually used a yeast that attenuated too much for the style.

I wish I had found this thread last week before I entered my first competition. Thanks for the info. I wish I could have attended the event instead of just dropping it off. I would have gotten a lot more out of it. I guess I did OK. I took second place in the category with a Belgian Specialty ale. I knew the beer was good but I am still claiming beginners luck. I've only been brewing for a year.

I do wish that judges would score your beer to the style but also as a beer in general. The first beer I entered got a low overall score but fantastic comments. It was a Dunkelweizen that didn't have enough banana and clove. Got a 28 but comments like "A highly drinkable beer". Based on the comments, I need to mash higher, try a different yeast and ferment at a higher temp.

That's how it goes. If you want to know if your beer is good, have people taste it and see if they like it. The competitions are (usually) expecting you to pick a style and try to hit it.

But you got the feedback and a good sense of what to do differently next time. That's a win in my book.

I've noticed that there are a LOT more people entering brewing competitions nowadays, compared to when I first started.

I do wish that judges would score your beer to the style but also as a beer in general. The first beer I entered got a low overall score but fantastic comments. It was a Dunkelweizen that didn't have enough banana and clove. Got a 28 but comments like "A highly drinkable beer". Based on the comments, I need to mash higher, try a different yeast and ferment at a higher temp.

This. I understand the need to "brew to style", but some judges seem to not understand that beers in a particular style can actually have a range of flavor, aromas, body, color, etc. I'm sure there are commercial examples of dunkleweizen that do not have all that much clove/banana aroma, yet, if a home brewer does the same thing, he gets dinged severly.

Again, I understand the need to brew to style, but it's like pitching in baseball. Every judge has its own strike zone but you don't know in advance where it is and that strikezone probably changes slightly from day to day. A pitcher has the advantage of throwing the first dozen pitches and "getting" where the strikezone lies: we do nbot though... So unless you can enter a few comps with the same beer from the same batch, I really don't see the point to enter for "comments" or "feedback", because you'll sometimes get none or very little and some non-certified judges positively suck.

Getting a pro-brewer's opinion seems to be the best thing for a newbie: costs nothing (or a few pints) and the beer is judged for its own merit. For the record, I plan to enter a competition or two this year for fun. I don't expect any constructive feedback or medals: I just want to try my hand at it. If I get useful feedback, that's just dandy, but if I do not, I won't cry over it since I like the beer I make and I'm already very harsh on myself.

Back