For the love of brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 262129

Learn Something New With Every Brew You Brew
Reaction score
Good morning/afternoon everyone,
I've been a member here for a couple months now, but initially signed up to get help fixing my CBPi3 setup. I'm a new brewer, since September '18, and started like many others, with a 1 gallon kit from Brooklyn brew shop. It was a disaster lol. I used Greek honey as the priming sugar, and apparently too much of it, which created an explosive science experiment. The thing was, I loved the process though. The smells, the steps, the anticipation, I finally understood what my wife meant, when she'd say cooking soothes her and calms her. I had the same effect and I wanted to keep it going. Like many, I started with a 10 gal igloo cooler and some pots and propane burners, making mistakes, buying incorrect parts and parts that I didn't actually need, and then decided to make things a little more automated so I could focus more on making sure the smells and gravities are right versus adjusting a propane burner every few minutes to avoid boil over. I built my CBPi3 system, bought a 15 gal mash tun, silicone lines, some bells and whistles, and now I can make the beers I love while taking notes on a regular basis to ensure I can recreate if I want. I love everything about it. So far, I've made a West Coast Session (kind of lol) I accidentally put straight star san in the airlock and had to add baking soda to the wort to balance the PH; I made a Black IPA with 112 IBUs and only 5% abv; then went a little more conventional making a Barleywine (this is the point I realized I needed a bigger mash tun); a stout, a double IPA, another Barleywine, and lastly, an Imperial IPA using Greek honey in the boil. The Imperial IPA is by far the best one I've brewed. Luckilly, I took a lot of notes suring the process, because the members of the Brew club out here said they want me to enter it in this year's Beerfest. Needless to say it made me feel great. Not sure if I'm going to though, seeing as there's still A LOT I still need to learn and I'm sure other brewers there will have much better brews from years of experience. Big shout to BrewersFriend and Beer Smith for their software. It has helped me immensely. Both programs have their major plusses, with very few minuses, but using both really gives you the best of both worlds. Ok I think I've introduced enough. Thanks for reading and remember to learn something new, with every brew you brew.

Back