Food Safe Coating Ideas for Neodymium magnets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elganso

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all; haven't messed with coatings much and curious if you guys have better ideas than mine for this one.

TL;DR summary: I'd like to stick a hard drive magnet on the inside of my keg lid, but in the event that it came into contact with my beer, I'd like it to be food safe. Considering using 100% silicone, but wanted to see if there were better options.

Working on a dry-hop-in-the-keg mechanism based upon this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/dry-hop-keg-lid-95036/index4.html.

The idea is that you take a hard drive magnet on the outside of the lid; paper clip on the inside of the lid with the hop bag and -- voila -- no need to breach the lid seal with floss or weld a hook to the lid and easy removal if desired.

I'm a little concerned about the weight that can be suspended by this method, so was considering an alternative where I'd use two hard drive magnets -- one on the outside of the lid and one on the inside -- and just stick a piece of floss between the inner magnet and the lid and tie it to the hop bag.

Its highly unlikely that the inner magnet would ever "fall" into the beer, but there is a potential for beer splashing on it. Not sure of toxicity of whatever nickel coating was used, but, regardless, the plating is very thin and questionable at least on the one side where it was pulled off the backing plate.

Was thinking I'd try to just give the magnet a thin coating of 100% silcone caulk to make it "food safe" -- but is is certainly messy to work with and will not give me a very flat surface. Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Cheers.

EDIT: After researching further, it looks like I may be able to use a hard surface| parchment paper |silicone | magnet | silicone |parchment paper | hard surface/glass |weight sandwich to get a flat, thin coating and then just trim the edges. Any experience with this approach?

EDIT 2: For posterity, the silicone between parchment paper failed in the two tests that I tried. I may just vaccum seal the magnet in a food saver bag, cut down the excess and be done with it.

A lot easier: tie a bobber (eg: wine bottle cork) to the hop bag with enough floss to let it float on top while the bag is sunk to the bottom...

Cheers!

If you have access to the stuff, you could silver solder a piece of stainless hardware (hook, loop, bracket) to the inside of the lid. It would be permanent, strong & sanitary.

If you have access to the stuff, you could silver solder a piece of stainless hardware (hook, loop, bracket) to the inside of the lid. It would be permanent, strong & sanitary.

At that point though you may as well just buy a $5 tube of JBweld and weld a hook to the lid, just as sanitary once cured.

Back