Food Grade O ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit77

Reaction score
I just stop by are local hydraulic shop for high temp silicone o ring (orange)for my mash tun. The kid behind the counter told me that they had none and sold me...what I believe they are Viton o ring (brown in color). He told me they were food grade, good for High temp and are made of fluorocarbon. At a buck a ring I hope they will do.

My consern...is it food grade and high temp safe?
What do you think?

Later

They are good for high heat I know that. Food grade is another question. I wouldn't worry to much about that though unless it reaks of plastic or rubber.

If you have the actual part number then type it into Google in the search window. Maybe it will lead you to the spec's. I have done this may times with great results.

I did google search I got some info but didn`t say it was food grade. Did the same search on the silicone one and also didn`t say anything about food grade. So I guess i`m going to try them.

Thanks for the help

Later

Even though the site says they have a "poor resistance to hot water and steam", unless they look and feel like a sponge, I bet they would work cranked in between a kettle and spigot.

Back