Foam over observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletcher21

Reaction score
So I was brewing today and noticed something I had not experienced before. Let me note here that I have a personal preference of whole hops over pellet hops although I know there are studies saying pellets give better results. Including research by my local university Oregon State. However my local HBS only had pellet in certain brands ( chinook & magnum). Each time I added the pellet hops my pot would almost boil over again. I haven't had this happen after the first few minutes before. Can pellet hops actually cause this or is it something else.

Fletcher:
I believe you have observed a common phenomenon: Likely, your brew liquid was hot enough so that when you added solid particles, the liquid had a place(nucleus) to begin boiling, ie., release of energy allowing a change from liquid to vapor. The more particles you add, the greater the change. I'm surprised that brewers don't report many cases of scalding. Please keep your hot liquids well-stirred, because, otherwise, with all the dissolved solids, it is very easy to super-heat the liquid. Then, it may boil over with or without warning. I seem to recall-can't find it now-John Palmer, in his excellent book, suggests using some solid objects as 'boiling stones', objects that chemists have employed for, oh, a few hundred years. Look at a science supply shop for boiling stones, and share them with your friends. Good luck!

Happens all the time w/pellets. Just stand by w/a spray bottle of water and as soon as the boiling starts spray the water and the boil over will be prevented. Same when adding the 60 min pellets.

If its a gas stove, have your hand on the dial. If it is electric, it is not responsive enough...you'll have to lift it.

As far as boiling stones, a friend of mine has good luck with pennies. I've never tried personally. Fortunately SWMBO insisted on a gas stove, so I've never had a boil over as long as I am vigilant.

When I was brewing on an electric stove (a poor one at that) I kept a bowl of ice cubes handy. toss a cube in if it starts getting out of hand, knocks it back but isn't enough to kill the boil.

Back