Foam after pouring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj2387

Reaction score
Kind of an odd question. I've only done a few brews and have bottled all of them. I have not used a priming sugar calculator. I've just use the whole 5 ounce package. When it comes the bottling day. So my question is when I pour from the bottle some of the foam almost clumps up or doesn't distribute as evenly as a commercial beer would when poured.

It has zero effect on flavor or anything so it's not a problem. Just somewhat curious on what it might be.

Probably extra proteins and yeast hitching a ride on the foam. I would recommend a scale and weighing your own. For me I try to leave as much trub as I can so 5 gallons of beer in fermenter only means 4.5-4.75 in bottleing bucket. And most styles won't call for 5oz in five gallons anyways. There's a lot to it I don't even understand. Check out brewfriends calculator and play around with it.

Do you have sediment in the bottom of your bottles, and if you do are you leaving it in the bottle or pouring it into the glass as well?

A picture would definitely help. It might be normal with having a higher amount of carbonation like the Belgian styles to how soft or hard you pour the beer.

Latest posts

Back