Flying with Just-Bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakeddog

Reaction score
Hello all in a few moments I am about to hop on a plane and fly 8hrs to NY. I just bottled last night what I think to be my best beer yet, a bourbon vanilla porter. As it in its bottling state blows all my previous beers away, I was thinking of bringing a few bottles to my father, brother-in-law, etc. Have them store the bottles and drink in a month or two after I leave.

However my question is this. I know the bottles are fine on a plane, I fly with enough beer/alcohol to not worry about regulations or pressurization etc. However what I am unsure of, is will I kill the yeast before they can properly carbonate the beer? As I said they were bottled last night so they need the yeast to start working. The internets are all over the place as far as how hot or cold the luggage holds are. Should definitely be above freezing, but other than that no definitive answer. Can my yeast survive the trip and carb? How long can they survive at what low temperature before they cannot recover?

Sorry this is a timed question, as I am walking out the door in about an hour. Thanks to anyone that can offer assistance!

can you still carry bottles on a plane? years ago i used to always bring a 12 pack with me carry-on but that was like mid-late 90's. i figured the new security rules would have eliminated any possibility of traveling with liquid. good luck!

He will have to check them, I believe they should be okay, even if the yeast freezes a few hours shouldn't be long enough to kill all of them, they may just carb up slow.

Back