American Light Lager Flying Hellfish Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonecitybrewco

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2105 Rocky Mountain Lager
Yeast Starter
Yes, 1.75 L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 days @ 52F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 day slow rise from 52-58F
Additional Fermentation
4 days @ 68F, crash to 32 and lager for as long as needed
Tasting Notes
Malt forward with a crisp, dry finish. Sessionable light lager.
This is a malt forward light lager that is crisp with a quick, dry finish. Approx 120-130 calories per 12 oz serving depending on your OG/FG. 4.0-4.3% ABV summer session lager.

4 lbs Pale Ale Malt
2 lbs Flaked Rice
1 lb Flaked Corn
8 oz Carafoam
5 oz Acid Malt (Water dependent)

0.33 oz Cluster @ First Wort

Wyeast 2105 Rocky Moutain Lager
0.5 tsp Amylase Enzyme added to Yeast Starter

I pitch a 1.5 L vitality starter @ 68F, reserving the remaining 250ml for rebuilding later.

Ferment for 3 days @ 52F, slowly rising to 58F over the next 7 days. Warm to 68F and hold for 4 days. Crash and lager as long as necessary to clear. I have brewed this grain to glass in 2 weeks, however, the finished beer still had chill haze and some slight diacetyl, however, with more time at 68F this cleared up. Depends on your time frame I guess. The colour in the pic below is darker than true because of the time of day and is from the batch I rushed, so still has some chill haze present.

9stCmzd.jpg

TL;DR:

A very sessionable summer light lager with more flavour than your average BMC beers. A great base on which to build out from.

Back