Fly sparging with ss braid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigT

Reaction score
I'm just curious about trying this and any input would be appreciated. I know it is highly recommended to use a false bottom when fly sparging, but if I would use my current setup (10 gallon igloo cooler with ss braid) to fly sparge, would I get any worse or better efficiency? I'm not really shooting for a huge improvement or anything I just kinda wanted to try something different to see how I like doing fs and if I do I may buy a false bottom. The only thing I am worried about is if i would get too much channeling since I won't be stirring and my efficiency will drop a whole lot from batch sparging. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you

I'm also curious about this... I've seen the difference in efficiency that my buddy gets when fly sparging on his false bottom setup, and I'd be curious to see if I could get similar results with my braid. But I'm not yet equipped to try it out at the moment - no pumps, no workable 3 tier type gravity system.

Wow. So I just tried fly sparging with my ss braid. I mighta did something wrong but hit 1.025 preboil. Shoulda been 1.039. I guess I had some serious channeling. Lesson learned I guess.

Seems at face value you just sparged too fast. Used the same setup you describe in 5 gallon cooler with good results

Plus if maintain the water above grain channeling shouldn't be an issue. You real have no reason to disturb grain bed after initial mash in mix

I don't follow the logic on how water above the grain bed prevents channeling? If you don't have distributed drain points then you would still have channeling.

I don't follow the logic on how water above the grain bed prevents channeling? If you don't have distributed drain points then you would still have channeling.

+1. The grain on the bottom thats farthest from the braid wont get sparged. There is a diagram of this in "how to brew" but i cant find it at the moment.

You need to sparge super duper slow. The braid will work but there will always be some degree of chanelling and incomplete sparging. There is no good reason in the wide world to fly sparge with a braid like this. Batch sparge is faster and more efficient in this case. No benefit to the fly.

I've been fly sparging with igloo water cooler and ss braid for a long time now, you have to go slow, keep water level above grain (about 2") I use a spinning ss fly sparger, but that really doesnt matter, ( it stops spinning half the time, I just let it spray), all my beers hit the numbers or close enough that it doesnt matter.

For you folks actually doing it, what kind of efficiency are you getting? 70's? 80's? I guess if it'd net me the same efficiency, there's not much sense in changing my approach.

Didn't read all the replies but. I tried this, various braids, various configurations and it just isn't worth the time. Buy even a small false bottom and you'll be in way better shape. Our main issue was it was getting clogged.

I know this is an old thread to apologies for bring it back up, but how about this:

igloo cooler, braided SS line coiled beneath a disk of SS wire cloth. The wire cloth sits above the braid, keeping it down on the bottom (I have issues with the braid floating into the middle of the grist when I stir). Further, it will prevent channeling by keeping the grist off of the braid, equalizing the draining pressure, provided the opening is small enough.

The dead space beneath the cloth where the water isn't in contact with the grist is dealt with during the vorlauf.

I currently batch sparge in an ingloo cooler but am planning on transitioning into a HERMS system on the cheap, one step at a time. The first step is to convert to a gravity fled fly sparge. If this wire cloth works, I could have a decent false bottom for < $10.

Thoughts?

Back