Fly Sparging - Efficiency Suffering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to say - if not crushed, keeps pretty well for a long time. If crushed, it starts (slowly) to go downhill immediately. If it was crushed two months ago and not stored well, I imagine the results would not be so good.

Based on my experience you'd be wrong. I've used malt that was crushed 5 months before for a pils and gotten excellent results. IIRC, Briess says 9 months + for crushed malt.

I'd say you need a finer crush. And of course you can get channeling with a false bottom.

Ok, I'll also try to crush it a bit finer. For some reason I thought the false bottom eliminated the channeling, but it sounds like it just reduces the potential as opposed to a bazooka tube and the like.

Ok, I'll also try to crush it a bit finer. For some reason I thought the false bottom eliminated the channeling, but it sounds like it just reduces the potential as opposed to a bazooka tube and the like.

The only way to completely reduce or eliminate channeling is to batch sparge.

Based on my experience you'd be wrong. I've used malt that was crushed 5 months before for a pils and gotten excellent results. IIRC, Briess says 9 months + for crushed malt.

Awesome to know. Makes it easier to relax about when things are done.

First thing to try is recirculating fir the last 15 minutes of the mash. You know you are there when the surface of the wort is very shinny and the wort is not cloudy. Thus sets up the filter bed from all the fines and helps prevent channeling. Another important issue is to fly sparge at a rate that keeps 1 inch or more water above your grain bed. I have seen too many people sparge much slower and the grains get uncovered. This reduces efficiency and often causes stuck or slow sparges.

First thing to try is recirculating fir the last 15 minutes of the mash. You know you are there when the surface of the wort is very shinny and the wort is not cloudy. Thus sets up the filter bed from all the fines and helps prevent channeling. Another important issue is to fly sparge at a rate that keeps 1 inch or more water above your grain bed. I have seen too many people sparge much slower and the grains get uncovered. This reduces efficiency and often causes stuck or slow sparges.

So I can do that instead of waiting until the full 60 minutes are completed? Another tidbit of info is that I am utilizing the diffuser (little plastic piece that "fans" the sparge water on top of the mash) and running the recirculated mash through that. Is there any issue with doing that? I figured it's letting the wort at the top trickle in instead of throwing the hose on top of the mash.

So I can do that instead of waiting until the full 60 minutes are completed? Another tidbit of info is that I am utilizing the diffuser (little plastic piece that "fans" the sparge water on top of the mash) and running the recirculated mash through that. Is there any issue with doing that? I figured it's letting the wort at the top trickle in instead of throwing the hose on top of the mash.

A number of brewers have used a variety of spray nozzles for mash recirculation, without apparent issues. However, if you are trying to minimize wort exposure to oxygen (like these low oxygen brewing proponents) then anything other than returning the recirc'ed wort under the surface of the liquid is a bad thing. So, let's just say it can be controversial.

Brew on :mug:

I crush at .035. It takes me an hr+ to sparge. I sparge w 100% RO. Mash PH is 5.3 for virtually all beers. I do not recirculate. I use a manifold in a 120qt cooler. I maintain an 1" of water above grain bed. My sparging output is literally a trickle. Sparge water temp is 200. My wort output temp is 165-170. Slowing my sparge time was what made my difference in efficiency. PH control is paramount IMO. I plug it all into Brew'n water. It is super accurate w ph predictions. I started around 70%. I implemented these changes and run 85% predictably. Also brewing enough to know your volumes and losses. Takes time, change one thing at a time, and keep good notes.

Just an update. I kept my crush where it was, extended my recirculation to 20 minutes then sparged for 1 hour+. Efficiency was 81% then 77% in both batches. Slowing it down really helped a lot!

I just read through this thread and was going to suggest an hour+ sparge. Better late than never.
a couple more suggestions...always keep 2 inches of water over the grain bed, and if ya think there is channeling, you
can gently stir the top half or more of the mash, just don't disturb the bottom.

Back