Fly fishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChemistWhiskey

Self-described Scientist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went fly fishing at Bennett Springs in Missouri last Saturday. I've been going on Saturdays since early April with an acquaintance (now a fishing buddy) who has replaced my best friend who moved to Indianapolis over the winter.

This past trip was my best yet, fought 7 rainbows into my net and let them all go. Tried to get a picture with the last one, a big guy, but he twitched and slipped free [emoji15]. I don't like holding them out of the water anyway, they gotta breathe!

Anyone else enjoy slaying a few trout in your non-brewing free time?

When I release, I do it in the water. If you try and take them out they freak out and I end up de-sliming them, which I’ve heard is bad for them. I love the taste of fresh caught trout, but can’t stand the tiny bones if they get in my throat, so usually I catch and released. To facilitate I generally take the batbs off my hooks. I think my favorite part of fly fishing is tying the flies.

Two tips: always barbless, and cradle the fish dorsal-side-down while slipping the fly free.
That has always worked for me on everything from trout to bonefish to barracuda...

Cheers!

I haven't tied any flies yet, but I would like to get into it someday. Right now I've got a 7 month old daughter so my time is pretty well spent with her, with hardly enough time for fly fishing, brewing, or working on my motorcycle. But I find some time and have just chosen to deal with the wife's grumbling as best I can!

Two tips: always barbless, and cradle the fish dorsal-side-down while slipping the fly free.
That has always worked for me on everything from trout to bonefish to barracuda...

Cheers!

I've been smashing my bought flies' barbs down with a pair of pliers. Is there a better way to remove them? Dremel maybe?

Someone talking about Trout? Been trout fishing for close to 50 years

They are very exciting to catch! I love when I'm reeling one in but it's too far away in the water to really get a good look at. I always imagine it's at least a 2 footer!

Bennett Springs, that place is awesome. Used to fly fish there back in college 18 years ago. Lots of 'bows on the line. Brings me back...

I haven't tied any flies yet, but I would like to get into it someday. Right now I've got a 7 month old daughter so my time is pretty well spent with her, with hardly enough time for fly fishing, brewing, or working on my motorcycle. But I find some time and have just chosen to deal with the wife's grumbling as best I can!

I've been smashing my bought flies' barbs down with a pair of pliers. Is there a better way to remove them? Dremel maybe?

They are very exciting to catch! I love when I'm reeling one in but it's too far away in the water to really get a good look at. I always imagine it's at least a 2 footer!

Only 2 feet? The ones that get away are as long as your arm.

Back