Fluid level.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeonbigbar

Reaction score
Wondering if fluid level in carboys is important. I put marbles inside to raise the fluid level. And to get rid of any extra air space. This was when I racked to a secondary. Looking for feedback on what others do if there about 2 liters. Short in a carboy.
Thanks mike.

For primary, I wouldn't bother, it's better to have more head space. You'll produce so much CO2 that you won't have to worry about anything else. For secondary, like you're talking about, they say you should minimize head space, but again, I feel like you'll produce enough gas to cover over the surface of the beer and prevent oxidation. It seems like the surface area is more of a concern than the actual head space, but once the beer is racked and an airlock is in place, the CO2 will fill any head space and it will be just like a longer primary.

I wouldn't risk dropping marbles into a glass carboy (I assume it's glass, if not, I guess it doesn't matter, but it still seems like a hassle).

If you keg, and you're really worried about it, I imagine you could flush out some of the head space with CO2 before fixing the airlock.

for beer there isn't any reason. 2 liters of headspace isn't a lot.

Marbles and glass beads are for long term bulk aging and most beers never get that.

Back