Fluffy sediment at bottom of bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobluedc

Reaction score
I recently brewed an extract/specialty grain pale ale using some sweet orange peel and coriander (in a muslin bag) in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I also used whirlfloc and the yeast was S-04.

4 weeks primary and so far 3 weeks in the bottle.

I've noticed that there is a sort of fluffy sediment at the bottom of each bottle. Most of the bottles are still conditioning at 70 degrees...I threw 6 in the fridge after two weeks of conditioning which have been in the fridge for a week and they also have the fluffy sediment that moves a little bit when you move the bottle.

Every other beer I've brewed had a nice and tight yeast sediment. I know different yeasts settle differently, but I did a search and didn't find anything which surprised me since S-04 seems to be used so commonly. Could this be due to the orange and coriander even though I couldn't find anything with the search feature? Or do I just need to give it even more time than 4 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in the bottle?

I tasted one at two weeks in the bottle, before I noticed or looked for the sediment and it tasted great, so I assume it's not an infection...it was a bit hazy but i wasn't too concerned.

Thanks for your help!

That would be the yeast. You can drink it if you like, live yeast does a wonderful job on a body's digestive system.....hehe. Most leave the last little bit of brew in the bottle to avoid drinking the sediment.

It's yeast sediment. It's common to ALL bottle conditioned beers both craft and homebrew. It's really a necessary part of the process and can't be avoided.

Just pour to the shoulder, into a glass, leaving the yeast behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've almost stopped caring about pouring the yeast into the glass for almost all styles I brew. I can't taste the difference with a full pour and careful pour (actually tried a blind test). But I brew mostly IPAs and stouts. So YMMV depending on what you brew with what yeast.

Thanks for the input. Every other yeast I've used so far (WL007, WY3787, WL001, WY1028) has settled down tightly, looking like a sort of like a compact silt whereas this is kind of cottonlike.

Is this normal for S-04? Just S-04 being S-04?

Thanks!

Thanks for the input. Every other yeast I've used so far (WL007, WY3787, WL001, WY1028) has settled down tightly, looking like a sort of like a compact silt whereas this is kind of cottonlike.

Is this normal for S-04? Just S-04 being S-04?

Thanks!

Different yeasts have different sedimentation and flocullation properties. Normally the yeast will state these properties on it's label.

Thanks. I read up on S-04 before I brewed with it and that is why I was confused. The manufacturer describes S-04 as:

"A well-known English ale yeast, selected for its fast fermentation character and its ability to form a very compact sediment at the end of the fermentation, helping to improve beer clarity."

I would have posted the question in the yeast forum, but thought that the fluffy sediment might possibly be due to orange peel and/or coriander.

Still curious to see if this is just how S-04 settles in the bottle. I'm not at all worried or freaked out, just looking to learn more about this yeast that a ton of people seem to use regularly.

Normally I don't get a good "compact" sediment in the my bottles until they're about 5-6 weeks in bottle, even then it takes a good week or two in the fridge for the fluffiness of the sediment to settle all the way. S-04 and S-05 are my standbys for brewing.

It's formed a compact sediment in my bottles. But as always in the art and science of homebrewing, YMMV.

Thanks for the input folks. I've got another batch to bottle today that used S-04 and almost the same recipe. Will see how that settles out in a few weeks.

Back