Flow control faucet or flow control ball lock QD?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider Wraith

Reaction score
What works best for me, faucets direct-attached to refrigerated cornys. A while back received delivery of a well rated flow control faucet but it's a huge, heavy piece ... afraid of keeping that monster attached

Anyone have experience with a rig like this? Looks appealing, flow control QD to medium-high quality front-sealing SS faucet. Feedback highly appreciated - thanks

1662069505503.jpeg

There are Intertap FC faucets that aren't appreciably "larger" than that Nukatap.

That flow control add-on thingie gets a broad range of reviews.
Might want to Google that and see which side of the fence you land...

Cheers!

I have the metal adjustable ball lock. Expensive and really doesn't work that well. I'd use a good line length calculator and get some of the new 3mm Id Eva barrier tube. It'll could up neatly on the mini keg, weigh less than the metal flow control ball lock. Attach a normal faucet or a party tap. I'd like to see the plastic version working really well of that flow control ball lock before purchasing it.

I run a picnic tap with a 8mm duotight ball valve. Throttle the valve and you can set your flow rate
Thanks for replies ... you guys are making me rethink this ...

... here's what I typically run

faucet.jpeg

... looks are of zero concern because the faucet is always out of sight ... was wanting to avoid plastic lines altogether but who knows ... so maybe for the most simple option use a shortened version of this with the plastic Duotight flow control QD ... would that be the simplest most failsafe way to go?

picnic.jpeg

Of course, having that metal, non-self returning tap is a bit of a risk because if in closing the door or whatever it got kicked open ouch ... and you can see I don't have a plastic handle ...

Picnic taps are so simple and auto-close ... so what's the confidence level in picnic taps? Do they virtually just never fail? What's the best brand/model picnic tap?

Thanks for the referral to the Duotight - I'll order one and check it out - thanks

I had a picnic tap fail. But if your keg is out of sight just tube and a picnic tap. Feed tube between seal and fridge will be fine.

Feed tube between seal and fridge will be fine
Not sure what you're saying here ... you're saying having the tap on the exterior of the fridge? Hm, I was just thinking of running from the Duotight to about five inches of line to the picnic tap and that just hangs off the keg. Nuttin' fancy

Are there higher quality picnic taps or all the same?

EDIT - so I was thinking I might go with some fancy Nukatap connected to a fancy ball lock FC but you all are making me reconsider

You could insert one or more "epoxy mixers" inside your keg's diptube (or serving line) to reduce flow.

I don't think the picnic tap is at any greater risk of failing than any of the other connection points along a normal beer line. None of it is totally risk free, but rarely do those components fail.

Which is the "right" choice probably just comes down to personal preference.

Back