Floral IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Looking to make an IPA with a pronounced floral flavor and aroma. So far here is what I've come up with (5.5 gal):

10.5lb Pale 2-row
2lb Marris Otter
.5lb acid malt
American Ale 1056 yeast (is there a better yeast to contribute to flowery taste/aroma?)
1oz Magnum 60min
1oz Willamette 20min
1oz Cluster 5min
1oz Cluster 1min
2oz East Kent Golding dry hop (any better options here?)

Wondering if there are any better options here...

I wouldn't call that hop bill particularly floral. I like Ahtanum best as a floral hop; Centennial also strikes me as having a delicate floral aroma. Amarillo has some of that bouquet, too.

That seems like an awful lot of acid malt for just a pH correction -- looks more like you're trying to brew a Berlinerweiss. I usually do 2-3 oz to
compensate for a light grist.

According to Hopunion's Aroma Wheel:

Cluster 5.5 - 8.5% 4.5 - 5.5% 36 - 42% 0.4 - 0.8 mL / 100g Strong floral and spicy characteristics

Willamette 4.0 - 6.0% 3.0 - 4.5% 30 - 35% 1.0 - 1.5 mL / 100g Mild and pleasant, with slightly spicy and floral tones

With Ahtanum, I'm afraid the citrus and grapefruit will over power the floral, maybe use it in place of the 1min cluster addition?

Thanks for the tip on acid malt, I'll adjust accordingly.

If I switched the 20min to Citra and 5+1min additions to Ahtanum would that bring a pronounced floral aroma/flavor?

Well bad news, my LHBS doesn't have Ahtanum so that's out. I did find a relatively new hop called Palisade, which according to the interwebs is extremely floral when used as an aroma hop, so that's what I'll go with at 5 & 1. Now I need something to dryhop it with and I'm thinking a combination of centennial, simcoe, and Amarillo like the poster above mentioned. 1oz each good or is that overkill for a 5.5gal batch?

Read that dry hopping while the yeast are just winding down, but still active, can produce certain floral aromas from the yeast interacting with the hop oils. Will be testing it on my next ipa, but havn't tried yet.

Back