Flocculation/Attenuation which? for clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip194

Reaction score
Which dry yeasts would you recommend for extremely clear cider?

Should I look for high flocculation and low attenuation yeast?

I've done plenty in the past but used various champagne and ale yeasts, not realizing the serious effect the yeast has on clarity. It's important to me, but I found little to no difference in the yeast used on flavor/dryness. My first year I did a few carboys with EC-1118 and found it extremely clear, my second year I used a mixture of dry ale, liquid wyeast and other champagne yeasts most of which was not clear. Maybe I've answered my own question, but I'd like to hear of others experiences.

So again my q is could someone explain to me what kind of yeast attributes I should be searching for, specifically for clarity?

Thanks for any and all input.

usually my ciders drop clear in about 1-2 months, and I've used many yeasts, but recently I had a bit of wierdness, the us-04 I dropped in one of my batches is clearing before it's even done fermenting (day 3) you can see the yeast bubbles and globs move around on the bottom as bubbles stream out of them. Grab a highly-flocculating yeast and it'll clear good and fast, but if you let them set long enough, anything will clear.

Back