floating scum formed after pitching too much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cetwlaa

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a beginner of homebrew and yesterday started my first 1 gallon trial batch, IPA from an extract kit. The whole brewery process was going well, until I realized I over pitched whole pack of dry yeast into the chilled wort (I guess it is 5 times more than what the batch really needs). Though the fermentation was very lively now, many floating scums were formed on the wort surface without any sign of going to settle. I am wondering if the floating scum would be settle eventually, if not, does anyone have similar experience and tell me how did you remove the scum prior to bottling? thanks

Don't worry, you are fine. The scum I assume is krausen and is nothing to worry about it. It will fall to the bottom soon.

Thanks for your advice.

As the floating scum was present since the moment i pitched the yeast, i think they are not krausen. i attach a photot for your easy reference.

Hopefully, those things will fall eventually.

floating scum.jpg

Back