Floaties - Looks like Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Reaction score
Hello,
I am fermenting a dead guy clone. I got these floaties that look to be bits of Krausen hanging around and wont sink. Its been fermenting for 9 days with an ale yeast. The yeast is supposed to be a substitute for the pacman yeast.
Has anyone ever seen this before? Will it eventually settle to the bottom or will cold crashing it make it drop out?

Thanks for the help. Hope these pictures help.

Fermentation1.JPG

Fermentation3.JPG

Looks like floaties to me. I have never felt the need to do anything about them beyond keeping the racking can beneath the surface, and naturally cold crashing by refrigerating bottles for a few days prior to drinking.

Looks like floaties to me. I have never felt the need to do anything about them beyond keeping the racking can beneath the surface, and naturally cold crashing by refrigerating bottles for a few days prior to drinking.

Great thanks! This is only my second all grain. I've done a few extract but don't recall having floaties. Usually it all settles to the bottom and I keep the racking cane just off the bottom.
Glad its nothing to be concerned about.

Great thanks! This is only my second all grain. I've done a few extract but don't recall having floaties. Usually it all settles to the bottom and I keep the racking cane just off the bottom.
Glad its nothing to be concerned about.

When extract is made, the hot break and cold break happen before the extract is concentrated and separated out so you don't get so much in your fermenter. With all grain you get most of it so you have more proteins to make krausen. That means you have more chances to get those floaties. It seems to always settle out on my beers but I don't usually look at mine at 9 days since I know that it will spend at least twice that long in the fermenter and I have a bucket so I can't see and be worried earlier.

I just kegged a batch that I'd had in the fermenter for 24 days. All-grain. I had the floaties as well, looked very similar to yours. When I picked up the fermenter to raise it high enough for racking, some drifted down. I did what Aristotelian said above, just put my racking cane below it.

At the end, with little beer left in the fermenter, as I moved the fermenter around, the floaties eventually settled out.

The beer tasted fine, uncarbonated as it was. I'm sure I have some detritus in the keg, and that'll draw off in the first half-pint or so. Then, I hope, nirvana. :)

I checked the gravity today and it is at 1.004!
bout to start the cold crash. Hope I didn't screw it up.

Back