Floaters in my second batch - did I do something wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPNewBrew

Reaction score
Only my second "extract" batch, so I'm not sure if anything's wrong (see attached pics). My beer has been fermenting for 16 days, and my gravity reading is 1.013, so it's pretty much done. I sampled it the other day and it didn't taste bad, just a little green (or unfinished). The issue is the amount of floaters that seem to be suspended (and even moving around) in the beer itself. In my first brew, my beer was pretty clear - didn't have this condition. The krausen is gone, and the trub and yeast is sitting on the bottom. No signs of infection that I can tell. I wonder:
  • Did I possibly not stir in my dme good enough at the end of the boil (Palmer partial boil method)? Maybe they are lumps of malt the yeast is having trouble with
  • It's just trub that hasn't completely settled yet?
  • Is my fermentation still going on, with yeast still trying to clean up things? Temp is slightly higher at the moment at 72 (held at 64-66 when it was actively fermenting)?
  • Something else?
  • Nothing (rack it, bottle it)? If this is best answer, should I attempt to strain when racking to bottling bucket.
By the way, this is a batch of American Wheat, using Safale US-05 yeast.

Thanks, Gary

IMG_1527.jpg IMG_1528.jpg IMG_1529.JPG

I had the same problem and got my answer... From what people have told me its just congealed wheat proteins and they cause no harm. Mine was an American wheat as well...

Looks totally normal, just random chunklettes of break material propelled around by some residual yeast activity.
Carry on...

Cheers!

Only my second "extract" batch, so I'm not sure if anything's wrong (see attached pics). My beer has been fermenting for 16 days, and my gravity reading is 1.013, so it's pretty much done. I sampled it the other day and it didn't taste bad, just a little green (or unfinished). The issue is the amount of floaters that seem to be suspended (and even moving around) in the beer itself. In my first brew, my beer was pretty clear - didn't have this condition. The krausen is gone, and the trub and yeast is sitting on the bottom. No signs of infection that I can tell. I wonder:
  • Did I possibly not stir in my dme good enough at the end of the boil (Palmer partial boil method)? Maybe they are lumps of malt the yeast is having trouble with
  • It's just trub that hasn't completely settled yet?
  • Is my fermentation still going on, with yeast still trying to clean up things? Temp is slightly higher at the moment at 72 (held at 64-66 when it was actively fermenting)?
  • Something else?
  • Nothing (rack it, bottle it)? If this is best answer, should I attempt to strain when racking to bottling bucket.
By the way, this is a batch of American Wheat, using Safale US-05 yeast.

Thanks, Gary

View attachment 595888 View attachment 595889 View attachment 595891

During the active part of the fermentation a lot of CO2 is produced and some of that gets dissolved into the beer. This is over saturated so some of the CO2 will out gas. When you raise the temperature the beer can hold less CO2 so more of it is out gassed and that out gassing is producing tiny bubbles of CO2 that is carrying some of the trub up toward the surface. I'd suggest leaving the beer at 72 degrees for a few more days to let the amount of CO2 come to equilibrium and the suspended trub to settle out again.

Back