Flip Top Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
This is probably not the right area for this, but I couldn't find a thread made for general discussion not involving beer (the aftershave IS alcohol based, though ;D). I wanted to know how often these growlers break. I wouldn't worry about it for a beer, but I am putting some Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum aftershave into this, so I'll be opening it frequently. The flip top has a solid snap against the glass, but it's also thick. Could I remedy the possibility of it breaking by putting a strip of leather around the part that snaps against the neck of the bottle?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401162384.975267.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401162415.445484.jpg

I think they are designed to be opened and closed as is. There are a lot of homebrewers who use swing top bottles exclusively so I don't think there is a real risk of it breaking on the top. I could be wrong but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I don't think there's a risk of breaking the bottle - I assume you would see some wear to the glass before anything bad happened. The red gasket will wear out long before anything breaking.

Back