flip-top bottle carbonation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Awesome experts,

I am just now really getting into my "assbock," my first brew. I had a very high, fast fermentation that stalled out after 36 hours. I waited two days, pitched a packet of dry yeast to try and get things going again, they did not. The beer had some pretty awful off-flavors, hence the name.

I followed insructions at bottling, and split the batch between a variety of capped bottles and 10 1-liter flip-top bottles. I have been slowly working through the capped ones, and found the off-flavors have been going away nicely. Carbonation on these capped bottles by week three was really good.

Now, five weeks since bottling, I have begun to consumer the brew in the large flip-tops. Of the five opened so far, two have been normal: good, full carbonation, good flavor. The other three have been either completely flat or nearly flat. They also exhibit a small "krausen ring" inside the neck at the level of the beer. The taste of these three were pretty bad, but that could be due to the lack of carbonation.

For five weeks these have been sitting upright in a closet where the temperature was not very well controled, ranging from 70-85 degrees.

Is it possible that with the heat the carbonation got past the flip-tops? Is there a problem with the small, grolsh type flip tops on one-liter monster bottles? Do these larger bottles take longer to carbonate? The bottles, spring clamps, ceramic caps, and rubber seals were purchased new from my LHBS; this was the first time using them.

All of the capped bottles from the same batch stored in the same location carbonated fine. The only difference, aside from the caps, were their size.

I have a Hefe in primary now, with plans on using these large flip-top bottles, but am a bit afraid if they cannot hold carbonation.

Thoughts?

Bigger bottles do take longer to carbonate.

Flippies in Europe hold lots of pressure. One reason is because their gaskets are of a harder rubber. For this reason, I don't like some of the gaskets they sell in the US.

I am the oddball that doesn't really like the flip tops. I bought a case of 20 plus a few odds and ends and quite a few Grolsch and just told my brewing buddy he could have em all. They worked fine but I just do not like em and really have no reason.

Bigger bottles do take longer to carbonate.

Flippies in Europe hold lots of pressure. One reason is because their gaskets are of a harder rubber. For this reason, I don't like some of the gaskets they sell in the US.

Thanks, Bill, it is your Hefe recipe that I want to put in these bottles. It is still bubbling away since Monday; so far so good. I thought it would be aweome to use these 1-liter bottles and break out some of my one-liter Oktoberfest Mass to have a full pour!

I'd just go for the 1/2 liter bottles...and use 2...:D

So true, as I have dozens of really nice .5L weizen glasses from my nine years living there; however, I "invested" in these 1-L thinking in the long run it would save time at bottling, and of course I don't think I have ever sat down and just had "one" beer.

What kind of flip top bottles are you using? I used IKEA's flip top bottles with their original gaskets when I started brewing and had the same issue that you did. However, after replacing the gaskets I haven't had an issue since.

What kind of flip top bottles are you using? I used IKEA's flip top bottles with their original gaskets when I started brewing and had the same issue that you did. However, after replacing the gaskets I haven't had an issue since.

You know, I just had another one that was completely flat. I dumped it out, then went to the closet and grabbed a warm one. I opened it and it foamed out all over, way carbonated!

I do not know the origin of these, as I bought them at my LHBS and they are in plain cardboard boxes. The base shows "80mm" "100cl" "73" and a symbol that looks like a circle with an N in the center sitting on a large V.

Quick picture attached; same as yours? I wonder if the things had been sitting around for years and the seals are old...

ilfliptop.jpg

get one of your problem bottles and set it aside in the fridge to chill. (empty, rinse it out)

put 2-3 beers in the fridge (one of them is apt to be carbonated well). Once they have a really good chill open them until you find one with a good level of carbonation.

Slowly (i mean very slowly) pour the carbonated beer into the problem bottle with as little turbulence as possible. Keep both bottles on an angle so there's no splashing and the beer is moving slowly. This smooth flow and cold temp will keep the carbonation in solution.

Once the beer is transferred let your problem bottle warm up to room temperature.

Once warm give it a shake or two and see if it leaks/hisses.

How old are the gaskets? How many times have they been used (gaskets are cheap, this could be an easy fix)

What temperature are they at in the closet? Anything above 70 degrees can cause problems.

Did you put priming sugar in the bottles? (i'm a fan of putting it directly in the bottle over mixing it in the whole batch just so you KNOW how much sugar each bottle gets).

One word: gasket. One solution: replace them:D
I had the same problem at one time, and it was because I stored the bottles closed while they were empty and prematurely ruined the gaskets.

Back