Flensburger flip-top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
Anyone use those Flensburger flip-top bottles for bottling? I use the heck out of them. They are 12oz and seal great!. At $1.48 per bottle (pre-filled with great German beer) I have amassed quite a collection. My question is, the grommets, they are sealed to the flip top and almost impossible to remove if I need to replace them. Has anyone here had any luck with a way to remove the original grommet without cutting the top itself to shreds?

Thx,

TxT

I'm curious about this too. I have a handful of these and I use some of my extra grolsch tops on them usually. I've not tried to re-use non removable seal tops for sanitation reasons.

I have one in the bottle cabinet and mine looks like a standard swing top bottle with a removable seal like a grolsh bottle. It's older then dirt have they changed the tops?

I have one in the bottle cabinet and mine looks like a standard swing top bottle with a removable seal like a grolsh bottle. It's older then dirt have they changed the tops?

I have a bunch of this type too. Can someone post a picture of the non-removable type.

I just bought 12 of em for the purpose of using them.... can I put them in my dishwasher seal and all to sanitize? Also, anyone tried peeling off the seal and replacing?
I'm disappointed now as I thought they were removeable seals like the others...

Also, can you sanitize and store bottles for quick random fillings from kegs? Or should I sanitize when needed?

@centex99: Dishwasher should be fine. I always use starsan. Once dipped for a few minutes, drained (not rinsed!) and sealed, they should stay sanitary inside. If you can store them upsidedown even better. If you are concerned with contaminants penetrating the non-removable rubber seal, you can purchase the swing lids from a homebrew supply store. They are standard size. The swing lids come without the seals which can also be purchased separately.
Sometimes, the Flensberger bottles have the removable seals. Easiest way to tell is the seal is a brighter red and looks thicker than the other permanent seals. Im not worried though. The permanent seals have never given me any problems as far as sealing or contamination. Keep an eye on them for mold buildup. Once you see that, toss em out.

-TxT

Back