Flavorless Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbjornson

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First real post. I am halfway through my first lager. It's my own recipe, but I'm still using extract. Here's my recipe.

Barley:
5 lbs pilsner LME
8 oz honey malt
4 oz carafoam
1 oz dark crystal malt

Hops:
1 oz perle (60 min)
1/2 oz perle (45 min)
1/2 oz perle (30 min)
3/4 oz kent golding (15 min)
1/4 oz kent golding (1 min)

I tried it after a week and it was buttery so I did a D-rest. I tried it a week after and it's just watered-down tasting and not something that I want to bottle just yet. What can I do to improve malt flavor, mouthfeel, and perhaps sweetness?

I was thinking about adding another pound of malt extract but am unsure of the best way to go about doing so.

Do you normally taste it at this stage? I find that carbonation adds bite and fills out the flavour some, also you may not be getting a well mixed sample depending on how you are taking it.

I've only ever added honey late (to help a stuck fermentation) so I'm not sure... I believe its usually not recommended :)

Well I tasted first for the diacytel, and then second to make sure it had diminished after the rest.

It's in a bottling bucket right now (secondary fermentation) and I'm taking it out of the spigot at the bottom.

Would a half pound of honey help with flavor or body? Or just gravity?

Well I tasted first for the diacytel, and then second to make sure it had diminished after the rest.

It's in a bottling bucket right now (secondary fermentation) and I'm taking it out of the spigot at the bottom.

Would a half pound of honey help with flavor or body? Or just gravity?

You're lagering in a bucket? That's a bit unusual I think. I usually lager in a carboy, to reduce the headspace. What temperature are you lagering at? And for how long?

I would think that your recipe would be pretty sweet already, with the honey malt in there. Is it overly bitter, or is there some other correction you want to make? A watery mouthfeel will improve greatly with carbonation, so that may be fixed just by bottling. More honey will not improve body or mouthfeel, since it completely ferments so it gives the impression of more alcohol and less body. That might be the opposite of what you want.

I'm finishing up college so I have minimal supplies. I'd love to lager in a carboy but have to pack up in 3 months and graduate and there's just not enough space in my car.

It is a tad too bitter for my liking, but maybe that will mellow out with carbonation and time? I just wanted a sweeter, cleaner lager than what I have right now (Marzen???).

Try a german alt. malty,smooth,crisp,sweet and made with ale yeast. Just takes some aging to get there, but worth the wait.

You already did a D-rest at 7 days? Im no pro at lagers, but I thought lagers usually fermented at low temperatures for about 3-4 weeks before warming up for a d-rest and then transferring to a secondary for lagering.

Maybe it was a little soon. Oh well, can't turn back now. We'll see how it goes.

Also, I just tried it again and the flavor has improved. Not as watery as I remember. Still a little harsh though, maybe its the hops?

Have you lagered? For a lager, you really should ferment around 50F for at least 2 weeks or more, raise the temp for a D rest, then you lower the temp as cold as you can get it (33-40) for 4 weeks. That cold storage (lagering) is really what helps develop the essence of what a lager is.

And stop tasting your beer after 1 week!

What temp do you have it at? I wouldn't mess with it now. Let it go for another week or two, then lager if you are able.

Also, what yeast did you use?

You just need patience. it sounds like this was rushed in primary. give it a lengthy secondary/lagering.

i would not mess with it now. just take notes and tweak it next time.

Back