Flavoring Stout at Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to flavor stouts when bottling? I mean in the individual bottles. Let me explain. I would like to try a peppermint stout, but not 5 gallons worth. I dont want to do a small batch, because it takes about the same amount of effort and time is limited. I would like to make my 5 gal of a stout and just make 6 or so peppermint stouts. Was thinking of dropping a few drops of extract in a few bottles. Is that a stupid idea that wont work? Thoughts?

I’ve added vanilla extract and even pieces of hot peppers to my bottles. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with other flavorings, especially if you make a tincture with some vodka.

As for amounts, I recommend pulling a sample before bottling and add your flavoring in small amounts to find the right balance.

Thanks for the idea. I might throw different spices into some of the bottles when I brew my next stout :)

Thinking of cinamon, vanilla and star anis. Just like three or four bottles each, just to see what happens :)

... @OP Peppermint stout however, sounds a bit disgusting to me :D But tastes certainly vary!

I made a batch of cream ale and bottled about half as it was, then mixed in some blueberry flavoring into the bottling bucket before bottling the rest. I liked that well enough that I intend to do it again but with raspberry flavoring. Don't go wild with the flavoring, keep it subtle.

Latest posts

Back