Flavoring Methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefpeppa

Reaction score
Currently my method of flavoring is with fruit/vegetable puree's added to the bottle. I am looking to start selling my bucha and i think the puree in the bottle will be a turn off. does anyone have any suggestions about how to flavor my bucha without having the puree in the bottle? An idea i had that i plan on trying in a week when i do my next batch is using a carboy. I plan on getting a 5G carboy(for my 4 gallon batches) flavoring that with the same amount id use per bottle, then strain that after a day into the bottles and then a let the bottles carbonate for a day before refrigerating them. Does anyone else use this method? how does it work? any big concerns? does anyone have a method that would be better? Thank you for all of your help.

I'm not sure if a day is going to be enough, but otherwise your method sounds fine. I sometimes use a similar method: I rack finished kombucha into a 5L jug at add fruit (for example raspberries, blueberries, cherries, plums, strawberries or grapes). I'll then leave it for 1-2 weeks and after racking once more, it's ready to bottle.

I guess your biggest concern is bottle bombs. You have to make sure that at every stage your 'booch is well enough fermented, otherwise you it might overcarbonate in the bottle!

Wanted to look into juices, currently only have an oster blender. Wanna switch to a vita mix which we get me a smoother puree. What is the best way to avoid bottle bombs? What causes them exactly?

Bottle bombs are from increased pressures caused by CO2 production during fermentation. If you want to prevent them, burp your bottles daily until refrigerated, use a shorter time for 2ndary ferm, use less sugar in 2ndary ferm.

experiment with shorter fills, leaves more air to compress but will effect your carbonation levels i think.

i don't add any sugar besides that contained in flavoring. don't get any bombs, but get gushers after they sit in fridge for a week. to much sugar? should i use less or ferment 1st stage longer? suggestions?

So I did my Apple clove flavor for two days in the carboy and it is not strong enough, am going to try a week next batch.

I'm not sure if a day is going to be enough, but otherwise your method sounds fine. I sometimes use a similar method: I rack finished kombucha into a 5L jug at add fruit (for example raspberries, blueberries, cherries, plums, strawberries or grapes). I'll then leave it for 1-2 weeks and after racking once more, it's ready to bottle.

I guess your biggest concern is bottle bombs. You have to make sure that at every stage your 'booch is well enough fermented, otherwise you it might overcarbonate in the bottle!

Could you define racking for me?

Next batch was better but seemed over fermented to me. Do you think I could shorten the 1st ferment a couple days to make the complete cycle closer to 14 days? Another mother formed during the flavoring. She looked beautiful too.

Back