Flavor Adding Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSUCatBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

Getting ready to bottle my 4th batch; all extract (moving to all grain this summer, but am loving extract brewing).

My LHBS only carries Brewers Best kits and despite some Luke warm reviews on here...I've found them to be very successful.

I am preparing to bottle a Toasted Coconut Cream Ale. The instructions say to add the coconut flavoring to the priming sugar/h2o solution stovetop; here's my question...

I've settled on the following process...

1) Summer priming sugar/h2o

2) Cool

3) Pour solution in bottom of bottling bucket

4) Siphon beer into bucket, letting natural motion do the stirring for me...no manual stirring.

Would you recommend this process knowing the flavoring is in with the sugar? Do you think the flavoring will evenly distribute? It stands to reason it will as I trust this process to evenly distribute the sugar when bottling. Should I follow the instructions, or add the flavoring in a different manner?

Thanks!

sounds great!! may still be a good idea to stir gently at the end of ur siphon, but otherwise your process sounds solid.

back when I used to bottle I'd always put the priming solution in then rack the beer on top. I never had any issues with carbonation. I'd just do the same for your coconut.

The only time I've use coconut I toasted the flakes myself and aged them on the beer in a secondary for 2 weeks. The flavor was great but it faded after about a month and a half. It was in a 7% chocolate porter and it tasted like a mounds bar!

back when I used to bottle I'd always put the priming solution in then rack the beer on top. I never had any issues with carbonation. I'd just do the same for your coconut.

The only time I've use coconut I toasted the flakes myself and aged them on the beer in a secondary for 2 weeks. The flavor was great but it faded after about a month and a half. It was in a 7% chocolate porter and it tasted like a mounds bar!
That beer sounds amazing!

That beer sounds amazing!

It was good! It placed in a fruit beer competition my club did. Forget if it was first or second place but I'm just happy it placed.

If you want to brew it here's the recipe. I just took a good sounding Porter recipe and added the toasted coconut to it. I think I just took a big handful of organic coconut flakes and toasted them in a skillet on the stove-top until they were all browned. Put the flakes in a muslin bag and put it in the fermenter after the beer is done fermenting. Age it for 2 weeks or so.

A little side note... As the coconut oil escapes the flakes it will all gather on top of the beer. As the beer degases the coconut oil will harden in a ton of bubbles on top of the beer. It looks sort of like an infection but it's not. It's just the oil from the flakes. It'll get mixed in/left behind when you rack the beer to package it. :mug:

Coconut Porter

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.5 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.0 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.5 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.2 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 29.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.1 %