Flatten a keg of beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally got a tank of 75/25 beer gas, faucet with restrictor plate, and high-pressure regulator. I currently have two 5 gallon Yooper's oatmeal stouts fully carbed on CO2 and would like to get on of them on nitro if possible. So how long do you all think it would take to flatten them out if I took them off the gas and burped them a couple times a day if the beer is in the mid 30's temp wise? Also, does the carbonic acid from the CO2 leave with the carbonation?

Thanks,

David

i actually pulled a keg of cream ale out of my kegerator last friday so i could add some coconut chips and make it a coconut cream ale...even this morning, i'm still burbing CO2 from the PRV. With that said, from my experience - even after a week there is still CO2 in there.

as for the cabonic acid, i'm not sure how that will be affected?

Having it out at room temp will help release the gas, and I don't think you need to get it all out. I've read that Nitrogen doesn't stay in solution long so the CO2 is still desirable.

A lot of what takes place to make nitro pours look/feel/taste the way they are has to do with the restrictor plate in the faucet. What I would look into is playing with the pressure using your stout faucet and see if you can currently find a sweet spot where it pours good. Sample it up! Dont try and wait for the beers to flatten out it will take forever! I'm pretty sure even straight co2 beers will still get the same look/feel/taste benefits that a nitro beer does by using that faucet, and using beer gas will make it even better. But ofc it wont be quite the same as a beer that was only beer gas from the start... though i'd be curious to hear the differences. Experiment?

There's a tread somewhere here with a guy who explains how to flatten a keg in a few hours.
Basically you hook the gas up to the liquid post, pressurized it and burb it over and over till it gets to where you want

There's a tread somewhere here with a guy who explains how to flatten a keg in a few hours.
Basically you hook the gas up to the liquid post, pressurized it and burb it over and over till it gets to where you want

Yeah this deff works, just hook up co2 to liquid post and let run at 5-7lb pressure till bubbling slows then release pressure and repeat. The co2 gets rapidly agitated out of solution. Ive used this to adjust often though never have tried to fully decarb.

This also works great for volatilizing sulfur out of solution in lagers/kolshes/hefes. Called co2 scrubbing and works super fast, so be careful if you want to leave in a little sulfur.

Its a little difficult to get the co2 disconnect back off the liquid post, but nothing like trying to get the liquid disconnect of the co2 post xD:mug:

Back