Flanders Brown keeps dropping pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
I brewed my first sour about 14 months ago and up until now everything has been going really well. The beer was a standard grist for a Flanders and I pitched one pack of Wyeast Roeselare Blend only, since I was going for a nicely sour beer. After a month or so it developed a nice, nasty looking pellicle just as I expected.
Here is where it gets strange (for me at least). After about a year I tested the beer by siphoning a bit off the top (tasted great!). In doing so I messed up the pellicle and it ended up falling to the bottom of the fermentor. Since then it as been creating a new thin pellicle which immediately falls to the bottom again. It seems to do this over and over? Not sure what is going on, has anybody seen this before?

don't worry about it. the bugs in the beer know what they are doing. if they need a pellicle, they'll make one. a pellicle isn't required to make a good sour.

*sometimes*, the pellicle drops when the bugs have done most of their work and there is very little food left for them. *if* this is the case, you might never get a pellicle again. no need to concern yourself :mug:

don't worry about it. the bugs in the beer know what they are doing. if they need a pellicle, they'll make one. a pellicle isn't required to make a good sour.

*sometimes*, the pellicle drops when the bugs have done most of their work and there is very little food left for them. *if* this is the case, you might never get a pellicle again. no need to concern yourself :mug:

Sweet. I plan to bottle it later this summer so I'll leave it be for now.

Latest posts

Back