Flaked rice for Asahi clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan46nbrew

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using flaked rice instead of glutinous/sweet rice for an Ashahi clone? I had some difficulty not scorching the bottom of the rice I think due to it being milled when I used glutinous/sweet rice. Flaked rice would be much easier if it had the same taste...

The temp for rice gelatinazation is 185-189*,so I bring the rice and water(I use the 2:1 ratio like cooking it) to 189* insulate and rest 20 min. It will fluff up and almost no free water. I add ice until it reaches mash temp with 10% pilsen malt, I like 148 for these beers,resr 10 min then up to 159-160 for 10 min then boil for 20 min. I never have scorching because everything is now liquefied,which can't be accomplished without the malt and the 189 initial rest, it's like soup not oatmeal.
don't know about flaked rice as I got 20 lbs of basmati at the start and found out I like jasmine not basmati, what to do.........make beer!

Has anyone tried using flaked rice instead of glutinous/sweet rice for an Ashahi clone? I had some difficulty not scorching the bottom of the rice I think due to it being milled when I used glutinous/sweet rice. Flaked rice would be much easier if it had the same taste...
Another option would be malted rice, if you can find it. Or dried rice extract.

Back