Flaked oats & Flaked maize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkEnough4U

Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone has ever seen/used both flaked oats and flaked maize in a recipe? Do they both do the opposite of each other? I am just strangely curious and could not find anything on it so of course I come the largest grouping of schooled up brewers I know.

I am just wondering if anyone has ever seen/used both flaked oats and flaked maize in a recipe? Do they both do the opposite of each other? I am just strangely curious and could not find anything on it so of course I come the largest grouping of schooled up brewers I know.

I wouldn't call it "opposite", but it wouldn't be common to use both in a recipe. The flaked oats give a creamy mouthfeel, while flaked maize provides fermentables but no color or much flavor in a beer. They are totally different, like adding oregano and pepper to a food recipe. Maybe it's a great mix, maybe not, depending on what you're making.

I like the pepper oregano comparison, I've never had the chance to use either unfortunately but was just wondering. I know that maize in some form is traditionally used in old world american recipes, including a supposedly popular Thomas Jefferson recipe, so I thought maybe they had been used together in some workable fashion before. =/

Back