Flaked Corn and 6 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsbrew

Reaction score
Hello, im planning to brew this ordinary-special bitter but what do you think about the 28.06% of corn in the mash? do you think i will have enough conversion from starch to sugars?

The corn is already pregelatinized.

American 6-Row 52.59 %
Flaked Corn Adjunct 28.06 %
Caramunich III 7.26 %
Cane Sugar Sugar 4.03 %
Carapils (Dextrine) 4.03 %
Rice Hulls Adjunct 4.03 %

Cheers!

From Michael Jackson's "Beer"...Corn, ...flaked...can impart an unpleasant "chicken-feed" character.
I'd do more research.

Hello, im planning to brew this ordinary-special bitter but what do you think about the 28.06% of corn in the mash? do you think i will have enough conversion from starch to sugars?

The corn is already pregelatinized.

American 6-Row 52.59 %
Flaked Corn Adjunct 28.06 %
Caramunich III 7.26 %
Cane Sugar Sugar 4.03 %
Carapils (Dextrine) 4.03 %
Rice Hulls Adjunct 4.03 %

Cheers!
To answer your conversion question, yes there is enough malt to convert the corn.

However, I must ask, what are you trying to do here? An adjunct ingredient like corn or another unmalted grain has been used in many UK bitters over the years but IMO 28% is way too much. In fact it's actually more like 29% because while the rice hulls (which you really don't need here) are 4% of the recipe they contribute only inert bulk. A typical adjunct quantity here would be about 10%.

Now both the corn and the sugar will lighten the beer. Why are you using both? Especially if the dextrin is there to counterbalance the effect.

I'd suggest a simplification here along with a corn reduction and a sugar, dextrin and rice hull elimination. Something like 83% pale, 10% corn and 7% crystal. That will get you within traditional percentages and will almost certainly make a good bitter.

6 row malt will convert rice and corn better than 2 row so there is no problem with conversion at all. I'm with Bid Ed on everything else.

As the others have stated, it will convert just fine, but it's also going to have a definite creamed corn taste to it. Keep the corn to less than 10% to avoid getting unwanted flavors.

One of the beer styles that I brew on a regular basis is Pre-Pro Pils. I usually use 20% flaked maize or corn grits in this beer style without getting huge amounts of DMS. DMS is usually driven off during the boil.

With that said, I am at odds as to why one would add a significant amount of crystal malt to a recipe that contains flaked maize and sugar. If one wants color, why not just add 1 percent chocolate or black patent malt to the grist?

Hi i was reading this article from byo: https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/94-adjuncts-explained thas why i was thinking to use those amount of corn, it will be my first adjunt beer i think i will have to experiment

It really depends on the style of beer you want to brew. If you want to brew Miller, Sol, Busch Light or Corona then 25-35-45% corn may be appropriate. However, for a bitter ~10% is more like it.

Back