Fixing a dumb mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CdrDave

Reaction score
Ok, made my first really dumb mistake as a new brewer. I'm sure this will give you ol' timers a decent smile.

I had just received my 2nd fermenter bucket with a NB label. My beginner kit has a BB label. Easy enough right? Two buckets, different labels, easy to tell the difference.

I finished a Caribou Slobber kit, then did a red ale several days later. Read great reviews on the ale, so ordered another soon after and brewed it as soon as the Caribou Slobber was finished. Well, today marks 3 weeks from the 1st red ale brew day and I have time off, so I was going to bottle it when I realized I didn't mark the buckets. I have 2 identical kits in 2 different buckets and I don't remember which one is which :eek:

So, it seems to me that the only choice I have is to pop the tops, take a hydrometer reading for the lowest? I hate the thought of risking any pollutants.

And, yes, I am going to permanently label all of my buckets after finishing this post...

Stick your good ear up to the side of the buckets up near the "water" line. If one is hissing that's the newer beer.

If neither is hissing... Well pop the top and have a look.

3 weeks, they probably will both be done.

Either way, I would take a gravity reading anyway prior to bottling. But you would be ok with either one to bottle first.

I should have clarified: The 2nd kit has only been in the fermenter for 5 days, so it shouldn't be ready and I need to get it right.

@Tipsy: Great idea. I tried that, but couldn't hear anything from either. Of course, my hearing is far from perfect also :/

I should have clarified: The 2nd kit has only been in the fermenter for 5 days, so it shouldn't be ready and I need to get it right.

You're not going to hurt the beer just popping the top for a look. I assume if one is 3wk old and one just 5 days you'll be able to tell the difference pretty easily. Check the gravity on the one that looks done to confirm.

Latest posts

Back