fixin a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DodginBUIs

Reaction score
so i brewed a coffee oatmeal stout and im not a big fan of it. i really think it could benefit from some aging, but i only have one keg and tap for now and i dont want it taking up my keg so im thinking about trying to "fix" the beer by adding something, perhaps chocolate in some form?? gonna have a few and think about the flavors that might help. my question is, has anyone ever added any ingredients after tasting a beer they didnt like? Im using a sanke keg and my plan is to pull the tube and dump something in, let it sit for a while, and give it another shot. any recommendations? thanx.

there have been quite a few occasions where i didn't like the beer and blended, added brett, added cherries or other fruits, oaked the batch, add liquor, dry hop, etc. there are tons of options. for a beer like you explained i would add wood chips soaked in some sort of alcohol. bourbon would be perfect for a stout, but almost any liquor will work. you can add cocoa by boiling some water and get it into solution, then dump into your batch. don't worry there's always hope and aging will do wonders for most (not all) bad batches.

I recommend getting another keg. that way you have an extra you can age in. then you can do all sorts of beers that need extended aging without having to go beerless while the keg is occupied.

Back