Fix Skunked Beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_bollinger

Reaction score
I had a flood in my basement during the great Toronto flood of 2017 and brought two carboys upstairs for a week while dealing with the problem. Unfortunately, they were exposed to some light from the window and are now both slightly skunked.

They're still drinkable, so I would keg them and drink them regardless, but I'm wondering if the skunky aroma will fade with time, or if there is some other fix?

Maybe dry-hopping them would obscure the problem? That said, one beer is a light lager and one is a session saison, so dry-hopping might be a bit weird.

I was thinking dry hopping for the light lager....

You keg, so I was thinking if you don't already have one, have you considered building a Randal? That way you could run the saison through just about anything you wanted, like a bed of fruit, which will help hide the skunkiness.

3007000F-3722-4C23-8735-6F00A23A2AA0_zpsjv20o9tb.jpg

I'm mounting mine right in my keezer.

18446818_10154608333559067_7287535273214783488_n.jpg

Here's an idea: If I add some malt extract or juice or something to restart fermentation, would it cause the skunky aroma to dissipate?

Depends on what you add. I did a Belgian Blonde with Mesquite smoked pineapple that the smoked pineapple would have masked gasoline.

The beer was awesome BTW.

WTH, I am LMA off . So it was a Belgian blonde with Smoked pineapple? was the pineapple in a Smoker or a BBQ pit or. what and how much Pineapple was added. I have on occasion have had off flavors from various things.:mug:

WTH, I am LMA off . So it was a Belgian blonde with Smoked pineapple? was the pineapple in a Smoker or a BBQ pit or. what and how much Pineapple was added. I have on occasion have had off flavors from various things.:mug:

Here's a brief explanation of what I did in my Leffe Belgian Clone thread for the first part- about the mesquite smoked pineapple.

What happened was it was SO strong. Probably if I had been smart and left the smoked pineapple in a sealed container for a few days the smoke would have mellowed some... or like plan to do next time, is cold smoke it instead of hot.

Or maybe only put the pineapple in the beer for a short time.

So this was where I got the idea to make a randall. I built it and then took I think 2 more pineapples... one of them I roasted in the oven to caramalize it.

And then I loaded the randall with half roasted and half raw pineapple, and served the beer through that.

And it worked, it tamed the smokiness a lot (though it still was a complex beer- people either loved it or hated it, and most folks including the owners/brewers of my favorite brew pub- were blown away by it.)

Latest posts

Back