fix funky water or just buy some?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Hi all. I got the lamotte test kit. Here's my water:

Chloride = 340
Sulphate = 25
Total alkalinity (CaCo3) = 290
Hardness = 0
Calcium hardness = 0
Residual Alkalinity = 0
Sodium = 368 (!)

I am guessing this is unusable water because of the sodium...

I could dilute with distilled and add gypsum to up the sulphate (I mostly brew hoppy ales) or jut buy distilled water and add salts to taste.

What would you do?

In my neck of the woods RO water from a reliable store (regular posted maintenance) is .21/gal. adds less than $2.00 to a batch. Works well for me.

Just moved to FL and water here sucks. Fortunately I just found a glacier water machine, $1.50/5 gallons, literally 1 minute from my new place. I'll test it (its supposed to be RO) and fix it up for my IIPA recipe. Thanks for the advice!

I think you should be testing your water before it is treated in your house (softened?). We soften all our water except for a single line to the kitchen sink cold water tap. That's what I tested using the Wards service, and what I use when brewing (though a lot of RO water is used as well).

I'd go with the Glacier water for brewing and see what you can do for your house water as a long term project. $1.50/5 gallons is pretty cheap.

Back