Fittings for keggle 304ss or 316ss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockwes

Reaction score
I am getting ready to order my couplers for my keggles. I have 4 decommissioned miller kegs with straight sides.

I was wondering what alloy of steel i should use. The difference in cost is minimal so i want to make sure i get the proper alloy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used 304 in my keggles because they were a little cheaper than the 316 couplers. 316 is resistant to more chemicals and salts and corrosives. Both have excellent welding properties, particularly the low carbon "L" varieties (e.g., 304L). 304 is fine for food applications, including brewing.

do you know what alloy the kegs are? Wouldn't it be optimum to match the coupler to the keg?

I don't know. I suspect it is 304 due to the lower cost versus 316, but that is just a guess.

304 and 316 can be welded equally as well, and compatible with each other.
304 is welded with 308 filler metal though. It is not essential just the proper filler metal. 304 and 316 can be welded together, just so you know.
For brewing applications 304 is cheaper. No need to spend more than you have to. This hobby can get expensive.
If these couplings are not going to be welded, it's pretty much a moot point.

Back