Fittings for 10 gallon mash tun cooler - help me decide between builds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
I went to Home depot today and picked up all necessary parts to build the round braid manifold for the 10 gallon round cooler.

This style:

Braid_MLT_HBT.jpg

NOTE - the picture shows the style of the braid manifold only. My fittings are different than the build shown.

Unfortunately, it came to around $55 for parts. All brass is pricey, but the Tee was an extra $11 and a few of the other parts that are needed for the rounded braid added to the total cost. I like the circular style because I've heard its more uniform and reduces the chances for stuck sparges immensely. However, it's obviously more expensive than a simple 3/8" straight line braid and a stainless clamp. The way I see it, it's about $15-18 extra to do the circle.

What do you guys think?

24" water heater 3/4 diameter SS braid - $13.92
1/2 x 3/8 brass reducer - 5.52
3/8 x 1 1/2" nipple - 3.40
3/8 x 3/8 MIP to Barb 3.12
5/8 compression TEE $10.86
Oring sold in package of 10 2.27
3/4 hose to 1/2 mip adapter $4.17
3/8 full port ball valve $8.21

$55.

For what it's worth - I'll be batch sparging at first, but down the road, who knows! But for all intents and purposes, assume I am batch sparging.

Ive never had any issues with a straight hose, maybe im just lucky i dont know.

I just did a 60% wheat 40% pils brew and forgot rice hulls and had zero issues with a stuck sparge.

Honestly i fail to see how the circular one is superior i just think its people trying to copy the copper manifold design. If you want 'better' drainage just use a longer hose, with a 15" hose i have zero issues.

I guess most people spend at least $40. I guess I'll keep the $55 worth of stuff.

You could do a CPVC manifold for cheaper, if that's the issue with the circular braid.

Thanks. I don't think I'm too keen on cpvc.

Back