first yeast starter, what temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidisser

Reaction score
Hey all, doing my first yeast starter for this beer and I've been doing some reading about them on the site. One outstanding question though, what temp do you keep your starter at before you pitch it? Seemed like some people were saying they were keeping it in the fridge? I'm using Wyeast American Ale, can't remember the number off hand, so wondering if I should keep the starter in the fridge or at some more like 70 deg? Any suggestions?

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that you want to keep the starter as close to the temp you are going to pitch at as possible. Logically this makes sense to me as well.

Closer to 70F, check out MrMalty all the yeast starter info you'll need id contained therein.

You want your starter to be as close to your chilled wort temps before pitching ~65-68F

I ferment my starters on my stirplate at room temp, usually 70-75°, crash cool them in the fridge for a day or so to drop out, decant and pitch the slurry. **once it reaches my fermentation temp**

+1 on reading the Mr. Malty FAQs on yeast starters.

Keeping your starter in the fridge is a curious strategy unless you are making a lager starter and your fridge is at 50 degrees.

Made a starter this morning and nearly forgot to pitch my washed yeast into it. Would have been hilarious to get home tonight and wonder "Why am I not seeing any development here?"

Additionally, you don't want to keep it on the stir plate for more than 24 hours or so before you cold crash it the fridge for 24-48 hours. Keep this timing in mind since you'll want to start it a few days in advance. I made this mistake and had to push back brew day.

axr

Yes, I'd go with closer to your fermentation temperature. Whenever you use a smack pack or something you always leave it out and bring it up to room temperature, so I'd assume this is the case for a starter as well!

Back