First yeast starter. Should I use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagelslag

Reaction score
I love the forums here and have found just about everything I need. I just looking for some expert advice.

I'm brewing in about a hour and just want to know if I should use the starter I made. I don't have time to cold crash or decant, but I have two more vials of yeast as back up if I need to use those.

Hopefully this info will help.

I made the starter on Friday night using White Labs California Ale.
I'm making a 5 gallon batch of Blonde.
I used Mr. Malty and it said I needed about 1.86L of starter.
I made the starter and after the boil its comes to about 1.6L.
I didn't take a Hydrometer reading.
Its been 36 hours and no Krausen. I've been swirling it every 4 hours or whenever I get to it. This morning it gave off a sulfur type smell. (not very pleasant) When I swirl it, small bubbles come to the top.

Should I use it? Sorry if that is a redundant question. Being a noob I just can't make the decision.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Pics attached.

photo (1).jpg

photo.jpg

I would use it, but for me I prefer to cool my starter and decant the excess wort and just pitch the slurry.(that just MY personal preference,not saying either way is right or wrong)

Use it, with a a starter over 1L I would probably try to cold crash it and decant the excess starter beer off, but using it all hasn't hurt my brews. Just be aware that you will be adding 1.6L more fluid to your carboy when you rack, that starter can take up more volume in the carboy than you imagine. Good Luck!

Is the smell normal? I think that is the one thing that is making me so indecisive.

Started brewing already so I think cold crashing and decanting is out of the question.

For now I'll use it and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your response.

Yeast starters smell pretty nasty, kind of sour. The longer you leave them out the worse they'll get. I try to pitch my starters within 24 hours of making them.

Umm not sure why you'd question if its ok there is a crap ton of yeast at the bottom of your flask ;-).

BTW sulfur is usually the smell that is given off with lager yeast

Back