First Yeast Starter - shaking manually

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
I am doing a yeast starter for Wyeast 3056. I have a 2L flask with just over 1L of liquid. When I shake it with my arm there is a lot of foam. Is this normal?

When I see pictures on stir plates it looks tame, but when I shake it manually, the bubbles almost reach the top of the flask, then die down after I stop and let it sit

Am I shaking too vigorously?

Thanks!

Foam is fine. You don't need serious vigorous shaking. Swirling is OK. You mainly want to resuspend the yeast as often as possible.

Shake it for a few seconds then wait a few seconds then shake again. You're just releasing all the CO2 but if you do it intermittently then keep shaking it will foam, stop then not foam

Yep , it's fine. Mine foam over frequently when I swirl manually, but I have 900 mL in a 1L flask. As was said it's just the CO2 coming out of solution. Kyle

Ok, that's a big relief.

I see the biggest problem with this method is everything settles on the bottom overnight when I don't stir. Hopefully I will get the remaining parts for my stir plate soon!

I know this is an old post but I am making my first yeast starter. It's covered with foil in a large mason jar, no air lock, but I can see the action. When I went down this am there was lots of foam, almost a krausen starting to form and focculation on bottom. I gave it a stir anyway and again just now. Just so I understand... I DONT really want that happening? I want to keep the yeast suspended? We are extract brewing tomorrow afternoon...when should I stop and let it settle out?

I know this is an old post but I am making my first yeast starter. It's covered with foil in a large mason jar, no air lock, but I can see the action. When I went down this am there was lots of foam, almost a krausen starting to form and focculation on bottom. I gave it a stir anyway and again just now. Just so I understand... I DONT really want that happening? I want to keep the yeast suspended? We are extract brewing tomorrow afternoon...when should I stop and let it settle out?

I assume you do not have it on a stir plate, right? If that is the case then the yeast will not stay in suspension. Instead give it a good swirl every time you walk by it. This will help keep the yeast in suspension, but a stir plate does the hard work for you keeping it in suspension. The foam is the krausen and that is a good sign the yeast is growing/multiplying. Since you plan on brewing tomorrow afternoon, this is what I would do. Keep giving it a good swirl each time you walk by it today. Place it in the fridge before going to bed. Tomorrow morning decant the starter and leave it sit and warm up. By the time you are done brewing the yeast should be warmed up and ready to be pitched into your beer.

The attached photo is not the best picture, but you can see behind the new beer that was released locally (I had to try it) the krausen from my starter made last week. It was WY1318 and that yeast always produces a big krausen on starters and beers. Two hours after pitching the yeast I had airlock activity and a krausen ring was forming in the fermenter.

WY1318_Starter.JPG

Hi Okay problem. lol, as always with newbies!! Did just as you suggested! but got home late today and MAY feel the flu coming on. Its rampant around here! Really not up for brewing. Yeast Starter is at room temp again on counter. Cant brew realistically until Sunday. Put back in fridge tonight and take out Sunday morning. Or do I have to start over?

IMAG0168.jpg

No big deal. If it were me since you have to handle it. Put it in the fridge and brew on Sunday. This way your dirty hands are not touching. [emoji6]
Decant it Sunday morning and let it warm up while you’re brewing. Then pitch it later that day.

Edit - I’m not implying you are a dirty person. If I was sick I wouldn’t want to handle my yeast very much with the concern of contamination from my illness.

Last edited:
So good news...it worked like a charm! Bubbling away like crazy within a few hours. This am, airlock was stuffed with Krausen, and foam, had to use a blow off first time ever. Yay!? Admit...a little anxious, Krausen & foam pushing to top of carboy & going into the tube now. Any advise, or just leave it be and let it do its thing?

IMAG0210.jpg

Congrats I’m glad to see all of your hard work had paid off! Cheers, have a beer!

I think you are good with the blowoff! I would check it occasionally just to make sure it doesn’t get plugged up. I haven’t had that problem but always worry.

Congrats again!

Latest posts

Back