First yeast starter - Is it finished?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks good. I usually get a lighter creamy color, (it could be the lighting in the photo) but as long as it is cloudy it means - yeast. The foam on top is an indication that it worked. If you are brewing today, I would leave it on the stirplate until ready to pitch. If not, I would put it in the refrigerator until your brewday as long as it is within the week.

you can pitch a yeast starter within two days after high krausen unless you cool them. If you don't cool them and keep them for a few days (after high krausen you should feed them fresh wort a and wait for another krausen to be sure there's still enough yeast cells.

It looks good. I usually get a lighter creamy color, (it could be the lighting in the photo) but as long as it is cloudy it means - yeast. The foam on top is an indication that it worked. If you are brewing today, I would leave it on the stirplate until ready to pitch. If not, I would put it in the refrigerator until your brewday as long as it is within the week.

+1 to this comment! It looks good! Now get it into a batch of wort! ;)

Thanks for the input, guys. I ended up stepping this up one more time before pitching it into my beer (7 gallons of 1.067 wort). It's happily munching away as we speak.

Back