first year rhizomes stopped growing after ~8 nodes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sowoah

Reaction score
So I bought 4 rhizomes (Galena, Magnum, Cascade, Willamette) and they all put out a single bine and grew pretty well up to about 1-2 ft, 5-10 nodes per plant. the two that are already being trained up a stake literally haven't grown a centimeter in over a week. The days have been 70s and the nights have been mid 40s-50s. Rain every few days so they have stayed pretty well watered. 3 are in 5 gallon pots, 1 in the ground. No sign of disease or malnutrition. I planted in miracle grow + homemade compost with a thin layer of manure (black kow) on top.

At first I thought that they were just taking a break after expending the energy reserves of the rhizome, but I'd expect at least some growth in 10 days...

Is this lag period normal with first year rhizomes? Anything else to check for?

Thanks

I would suspect that you rhizomes are putting their energy into establishing roots and not in green growth. Perhaps a balanced fertilizer (numbers relatively equal, lower than 15) may help provide additional nutrients to the plants in the growth stage. Hit it with fertilizer once weekly or twice a month in small doses. If parts start wilting, you may have a problem like a disease or root rot. It's still early on in the season, though. If you suspect that there's root rot, you can dig up the rhizome and look for squishy black roots. Those are dead and rotting. You'll want to cut those off. Then replant. I'm with day_trippr, a picture, location, and other descriptions of what your seeing would help best diagnose what you have.

Back