first year in the books, want to expand for year 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan300man

Reaction score
I bought a 6" Cascade plant from a nursery and it has grown to over 11' tall so far, and I expect much more by the end of the season. I don't plan to have a harvest this first season, so even 1 cone would be gravy. Is there a way I can 'split' this plant so that I have 3-4 for next year? I am building a trellis and overhead structure to give the plants at least 25' of supported growing length. I have a garden area that is about 8 feet long and 2 foot wide. If I could get 3-4 plants total and spread them in this garden, that would be ideal.

Yes. In the Spring you can cut rhizomes off of the existing root ball. The crown grows significantly even in just one year. You should be able to get a few off of a healthy year old plant. Just dig around the original, identify some candidates and snip away.

I bought a 6" Cascade plant from a nursery and it has grown to over 11' tall so far, and I expect much more by the end of the season. I don't plan to have a harvest this first season, so even 1 cone would be gravy. Is there a way I can 'split' this plant so that I have 3-4 for next year? I am building a trellis and overhead structure to give the plants at least 25' of supported growing length. I have a garden area that is about 8 feet long and 2 foot wide. If I could get 3-4 plants total and spread them in this garden, that would be ideal.

3-4 plants in a 2x8 plot sounds like you'd be overcrowding quite a bit. 2 plants would probably be plenty in that area (since they're the same varietal, it won't matter that they sort of merge together into one mass of bines eventually).

You can almost hardly kill a cutting off a hop bine either. Simply cut a tip off a side shoot and stick it in water, it will grow roots and you can plant it.

There are a couple good posts here on the forum that go through the process. In reality, if you wanted to have a thousand rooted plants, it wouldn't be a huge stretch in a season.

Rhizomes grow sideways, just below the surface (mostly :) )and Roots grow down (mostly :) ).

TeeJo

Back