First Year Cascade Question -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpnc9702

Reaction score
Hi Folks - first year harvest on Cascade and Centennial - I am drying my cascades now - my Centennials have a much stronger hop aroma, very noticeable. When I harvest my cascades they definitely don't have the real strong smell like the Centennials but I know they also have a lower AA. I didn't pick the ones that still seem wet but when I opened these up they really have the yellow color that I am looking for. They are in my dehydrator now and the smell is much more floral and sweeter smell than what I would have thought, is this normal for this variety? I took one out and boil a tea out of it and its definitely got a bitter bite. I've read where there are things to be aware of year one so just want to get some thoughts from some other folks. Thanks for the feedback.

I just harvested year two of my hop garden. I grow Chinooks, Centennials, Cascades, & CTZ.

Last year the Cascades were very light on aroma & citrus as you're describing. I brewed a blonde ale with home grown Cascades last fall expecting the grapefruity notes that I get from commercial Cascades, but it never came through.

This year, however, my hands were sticky and smelled like grapefruit after the Cascade harvest & I'm very confident that they will be great to brew with.

It's been my experience that the yield & potency of first season hops isn't comparable to subsequent years. I've also seen on the forums growing veterans saying that the fun really doesn't start until year three.

I'd say give it a shot & brew with them - better yet do a 1 gallon test batch if you have the time - but know that it gets better after year 1.

Good luck!

Back