First wort hopping with false bottom in BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TungstenBeer

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some advice for a problem I've come across. I've made a lot of good beers to this point without first wort hopping (FWH), which I've wanted to try but have never really needed to. Unfortunately, now I really have the urge. Here's the problem:

My BK setup: Megapot with false bottom (similar to a Polarware FB, though not sure if it is one exactly) AND a bazooka screen. I know, not the best setup or idea, but I was very inexperienced when I got one and I'm invested now, so I need to work around it for at least another year. Having said that, the FB does a pretty good job of catching almost all the hops above it, and after a good whirlpool/hop stand, the screen takes care of anything left (esp leaf hops).

The false bottom sits quite a few inches above the bottom of the kettle, so after the mash, by the time the wort touches the FB, I'm already a few gallons into my pot. I'd rather not put the pellet below the FB My questions are:

1. If I want to FWH, how much of a difference (if any) would it make to place the hops simply on top of the false bottom and let the wort touch the hops starting around gallon 3 or 4?

2. How would that effect my utilization? For the styles I'd be brewing I'd rather have too many IBUs than not enough.

Any help would be appreciated. Next time, I'll think my setup through a little better!

I use FWH on nearly all of my beers. I have a similar setup with a false bottom and bazooka screen. I use mostly whole leaf hops. I just put them on top of the false bottom. I fill my kettle until the hops are sitting in wort and wait for about 10-mins before lighting my burner. I don't think it will negatively effect your IBUs, but it will change the flavor of your hops. I really prefer the smoother hop flavor you get with FWH.

You can just toss your hops in on top and let them steep while you add the rest of the wort and bring it up to a boil. No need to complicate it.

FWH definitely drops utilization substantially. To me, it's more like a 30 minute level vs 60 minutes.

You can just toss your hops in on top and let them steep while you add the rest of the wort and bring it up to a boil. No need to complicate it.

FWH definitely drops utilization substantially. To me, it's more like a 30 minute level vs 60 minutes.

It is definitely true that perceived bitterness will be lower (more like a 30-min addition). The IBUs are still there, but for whatever reason they are smoother and less obtrusive. It is fairly controversial among brewers.

Back