First Try-What could I do better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShermanTank

Reaction score
So today was my first batch of all-grain and things went pretty good, but could have been better. I did a Belgian ale recipe from Northern Brewers called Golden Dragon. The recipe contained:

-- 12-lbs.-Belgian-Pilsner-Malt-
-- 0.75-lbs.-Belgian-Aromatic-
-- 0.25-lbs.-Belgian-Special-B-

1 oz. Sterling (60 min)
0.5 oz. Saaz (30 min)
0.5 oz. Saaz (5 min)
1 lb Corn Sugar (0 min)
1 lb Soft Brown Candi Sugar (0 min)

1 lb Dark Candi Syrup – add to primary fermenter at high krauesen

I did the mash and sparge in my coleman cooler mash/lauter tun.

I started with 17qt of mash water which stabilized at 149 deg. just as instructed. Next I was supposed to bring the water temp up to 168 after the one hour rest time; however, I was unable to get the temp up. I used about a gallon of almost boiling water at first. The water temp only went up by about 3-4 deg. Next I added about two gallons of the strike water (about 185 at the time) in an attempt to get the temp up...didn't work. I finally gave up when I had so much water in the mash tun that I could get it to go up. So I went ahead and fly sparged until I had about 6.75 gallons in the brew pot.

I started my boil and just as some bubbles started to surface, my propane tank ran empty. I had to run to the store and get in filled. It took about 15 minutes. I got back and started my boil again. I did the hop additions and sugar additions at flame out.

I did my hydrometer test and came up with about and OG of 1.08'ish. The target OG was 1.09, so I wasn't too far off. We are in primary now and the long wait begins.

Back